Georgia Bobwhite Chicks Mysteriously Dying?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by jumbocoturnix, Oct 7, 2016.

1. jumbocoturnix

jumbocoturnix Out Of The Brooder

Apr 4, 2016
    I bought some Georgia Bobwhite chicks from someone off of Craigslist. I set up the brooder with heat lamp 73 watt (measured temp. within 99 F), fresh water, turkey starter 30% protein, out of wind draft, etc. However, they are slowing dying days after days. Within a week, I nearly lost half of the chicks and counting. I raised chickens and quails before and I've never had this issue before. I checked several indicators and there seemed to be no issue. First day I went to pick up the Bobwhite chicks, I noticed several of their feet were covered in dry poop, which drawn to my attention of health concerns. Do you think this could be genetic related? What should I do? Much appreciation & thank you.

2. spotsplus

spotsplus Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2008
    Franklin, MA
    I have found lack of enough heat is one of the number one causes of quail chick death. Try adding another heat lamp. Good luck.

3. Tony K T

Tony K T Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    I too had lost some quail,well more like 5 or 6 each day.I contacted the guy I bought the eggs from and he said that he had a sulfer deficiency.He told me to give them sulmet once a week and that stopped the multiple deaths.Not saying that is your problem because it could be anything with quail.
    How close is your water to their heat?
    Temp is a little high,should be 95 degrees for the 1st week and drop 5 degrees each week for at least 6 weeks.Draft free and their feed is right.
    In N.H.,Tony.

4. jumbocoturnix

Apr 4, 2016
    I discovered that was the cause. Now they're not dying anymore. Thank you!

5. Tony K T

Tony K T Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    What was the cause?
    In N.H.,Tony.

6. jumbocoturnix

Apr 4, 2016
    I'd figured the issue was I put the heat lamp on one side of the brooder box (90 qt. w/ less than 30 Bobwhite chicks) and w/ a 73 watt was a bit too warm. What happened was the chicks stayed on the cool side of the box during the day, but over night when the temperature dropped they froze to death. How I solved this was I used a 1/2" mesh as a divider in the middle and changed to a 60 watt. Now they are on one side of the brooder box within range of heat. Now they are eating and drinking, running around the box. Bobwhite chicks are very susceptible to chill especially during Fall/Winter, not that other poultry don't but this breed does.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by