Georgia chickens

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by Annoradeburgh, Aug 27, 2016.

1. Annoradeburgh

Annoradeburgh Just Hatched

Aug 20, 2016
    Looking to find out which chickens can tolerate our summers and winters here in GA. I am a newbie to chickens and still doing my research. :cd I am in Jackson County GA

2. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member Project Manager

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    Hello from Middle Georgia [​IMG].

I'm near Macon, south Monroe County. The larger concern is the summer heats since most breeds can tolerate weather a lot colder than either of us face. And all need special attention to get thru the summers - shade, fan/breeze, cool water, treats.

Most breed resources list only cold hardy characteristics. Local breeders and feed store sources usually only sell those that do well in the area. You can search for those to get lists of what they offer to narrow your search.

I have only personal experience with Barred Rocks and Buff Orpingtons - and they have done well here. I do know Rhode Island Reds, EE's, sex-linked and many others also fare well in our state.

In addition to heat tolerance, you should look at breeds that fare well with how you plan to manage your flock - for me I wanted breeds that do well in confinement. If you plan to free range it will offer more possible choices.

To get more local opines and info on breeders try posting the question under "Yo Georgians".

And [​IMG] so glad you have joined us. You should consider posting an intro under the New Members Forum to get a proper welcoming.

Good luck with your selections.

3. pejmo3

pejmo3 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 13, 2016
    Eastman, GA
    Hello, I'm not too far from you. I live in Eastman, GA, it's about 1 hour south/east of macon. I got started with my Production Red chickens this past spring. I bought them at Tractor Supply. They are doing great and I love going out in the morning and letting them out and talking to them. They give me an egg a day most days. I have 1 brooder hen right now that is sitting on my pekin duck eggs, because my pekin duck won't sit on her eggs as of yet. (Still confuses the tar out of me, why she won't). When I go out to check for eggs my brooder hen makes such a fuss but i'll talk to her and pet her to calm her down. She doesn't get off her nest for much of anything, after a few days of her sitting on the eggs, I will pick her up and set her on the ground so she can get something to eat and drink, maybe to even get a little exercise, but then she goes right back to the nest.

I am worried that this winter, it might get too cold for them. Should I put up some kind of heat source for the chickens and ducks, or will they be alright? Georgia is so hot and muggy during the summer, and wet and chilly during the winter, so i'm not sure what to do. This is my first year with chickens and ducks.

I'm hoping that some of the duck eggs will hatch, but then how do I care for my little ones'? Will the hen take care of them or will I have to remove them once they are born? Will my daisy duck ever sit on her own eggs and raise them? How can I get her to sit on her eggs?

So confused but loving every minute of it with my chickens and ducks. Any help would be great.

PJ

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by