Georgia Chicklets

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by SunnySoleil, Jul 10, 2011.

1. SunnySoleil

SunnySoleil Out Of The Brooder

I'm Sunny and I live with my husband Forest on some rented land in the Georgia/TN Mountains. Last year our young neighbor asked me to swap some of my famous venison jerky for two chicks. We ended up with what we thought were part Silkies. The hen is very silkie, the cock not so, but he has feathers on his feet. They produced three babies for us, two hens and a cock.

We have built them a makeshift coop on our porch.. on top of an old barn table. Under the barn table is a discarded chicken coop of sorts, which we wired and perched. They lived in their in the winter and when spring came we put them out in this coop. But they seemed to like roosting on top of the table, which originaly housed our 3-dog kennel. So we moved it there. Two dogs were poisoned so we brought the last one inside to sleep. Now Chicken Motel is well established.

Their home is three stories.. the coop underneath, where the chicks retreat in the excessive heat [when they're not lounging in the old winter greens bed with seeding lake, radish and mustard very tall]. On the table we put two of those plastic pallets that bread comes in, inside an old rectangular wooden box someone dumped here. We then put her nesting box, built from wood out of the basement, on top of that.. Under the plastic pallets we have cardboard with diatomaceous earth to collect their poop and keep the fly population down.. diatomaceous earth kills fly eggs..

Now madame sleeps in her nesting box, the cock sleeps on his pallet and the chicks on theirs...

They jump down from the porch every morning and wander into the garden, which is directly in front of th eporch. The good thing is that we have these 3 old winter greens beds.. one of which my dog dug up.. so they have a nice dust bath, shelter and lots of pickings.. cos dock and plantain and sorrel have sprung up too..

We love watching them in the evening, sitting on the porch. I am a city girl by birth and most of my life and now I just love watching chickens... playing, being their little unique selves.. And our original hen lays us an egg every day. Small but beautiful.

Love this forum and your facebook page.. so much info to help us all.

Now we want more silkies or silky crosses... so we can pair up our new chicks with mates... and get more eggs and more chicks. Our chickens are yard chickens, like our neighbors. They wander around the road, which is a dirt track and as we're nearly at the end, it's quite safe.. there is forest beyond us all the way round.. plenty of territory but they have their little paths.

The cock has taken over the parenting... it seems... After we separated the chicks from momma cos she was pecking the smaller one, she has become aloof, which is fine as he makes sure they are OK... aaaaaaaaaah ain't chickens gorgeous.

Sunny Soleil
    Return to Earth
    http://www.pierresoleil.com/ourblog
    Wellness v Pharma, Natural energy v Oil, Community v Nuclear, Home Grown v store bought
    Our desire - a food forest perennial garden on every corner.. free food for all

2. wava1vaughn

wava1vaughn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2011
    Cairo Ga.
    Hi from Ga. [​IMG] Hope you enjoy the forum.

3. tobin123

tobin123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2009
    fountaintown,indiana
    [​IMG] and hello from Indiana

4. Cadjien_De_Louisiane

Cadjien_De_Louisiane SWLA Gamefowl Breeder

Apr 18, 2011
    Welsh, LA
    Hello [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

6. texasgal

texasgal Brood with an Attitude

Apr 18, 2009
    A big Texas-sized [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. dinahmoe

dinahmoe Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Sep 19, 2009
    central georgia
    [​IMG]

hope you enjoy BYC and all the nice folks on here.

8. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    [​IMG] and [​IMG] from Ohio. So glad you joined. [​IMG]

9. sunny & the 5 egg layers

sunny & the 5 egg layers Overrun With Chickens

Mar 29, 2011
    Hello and [​IMG]

10. pioneer

pioneer Out Of The Brooder

Apr 7, 2011