Georgia Giant eggs?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Bama Quail, Jun 15, 2011.

1. Bama Quail

Bama Quail New Egg

Jun 15, 2011
    Im new to the site, but i thought maybe someone could answer a couple questions for me. First of all I have a silkie hen hatched 10/20/2010 that hasnt layed a single egg yet, and was wondering when she will. Second, I have about 50 Georgia Giant Quail hatched around 04/25/2011 and was wondering how long it takes for them to reach maturity and start laying. Lastly, I am planning to try and let the silkie set my quail eggs, and was wondering if anyone has ever done this with success. Thanks for any info.

2. bryleighs_gmal

bryleighs_gmal Out Of The Brooder

Nov 28, 2010
    TN.
    1st you sure its a hen? 2nd might need a little more time to lay the hotter the heat is the more they dont lay..georgia giants are at maturity at 24 weeks fully 3rd nope never tried it cant help on that one [​IMG]

3. Fat Daddy

Fat Daddy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Ks
    Your quail will not likely lay till spring, I wouldnt plan on it anyway... I would not let a chicken hatch quail for me. she will likely break eggs, there small. Then theres the whole mixing chickens with gamebird deal that has been covered to death.... But still, I know of one guy that had a few hatch this way... Good luck either way you go... Bill

Last edited: Jun 15, 2011
  4. FeatheredObsessions

FeatheredObsessions Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2010
    Oregon
    If you have a chicken sit on gamebird eggs you will need to be prepared for the chicks. The chicks usually wont stay next to the hen like chicken chicks would. You would want to consider the cross contamination issues of chicken vs. gamebird as well

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by