Georgia Giant Quail anyone have experience raising these?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by bantamman13, Jan 8, 2009.

1. bantamman13

bantamman13 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2008
    I am thinking about ordering some of the Georgia Giants from Lake Cumberland Hatchery and just wondered if anyone had any positve or negative experience with these birds before I order. Thx

2. CountryMom

CountryMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2008
    South Texas
    Mine are nice and meaty. They are generally bigger than the northern and that is why I went with them.

Make sure you have a red heat lamp and plenty of space in your brooder. They are just prone to picking on each other, but that is more of a Bobwhite trait period.

3. bantamman13

May 27, 2008
    Thanks that was what I was hoping for was a nice meaty little bird for grilling. Now I can't wait to get them ordered.

4. CountryMom

Jun 21, 2008
    South Texas
    Just wanted to add to be sure to check with your local parks and wildlife for licensing info if you haven't already. In Texas you have to have one to even own Bobwhites. It was super easy, fill out a form and pay your dues once a year. LOL Just a formality I guess.

Yes, they are great for grilling. And mine fly pretty well also for their size.

5. SamG347

SamG347 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2007
    PA
    They are a nice bird....but if your looking for a good bird for the grill that grows rather quick....Get either Jumbo brown Coturnix or Texas A&Ms.

6. Teach97

Teach97 Bantam Addict

Nov 12, 2008
    Hooker, OK
    I agree that the cotournix are better for grilling purposes...lots better feed to gain ratio...but Bob's are fun to have around

1 person likes this.
  7. bantamman13

May 27, 2008
    Yeah I have the pharoah and bobs also but I was wanting to try something a little larger takes to so many to make a meal for the family. Is it true they get to 16ozs and if so how long does it take?

8. CountryMom

Jun 21, 2008
    South Texas
    Quote:You know, I couldn't tell you for sure how fast they get up to weight as I released a bunch to restock our ranch last year. And the ones I kept for breeding this year I just didn't follow through with weighing. They are about as big as the Coturnix XLD's that I had, but have a big breast to them.

9. bantamman13

May 27, 2008
    Thanks, Countrymom for the help I may order just a few to try them and see how it goes.

10. SamG347

SamG347 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2007
    PA
    You have Pharoahs but I'm talking about Jumbo Browns and Texas A&Ms......These would honestly be your better option the 14-16oz are what some of the LARGER of all birds. I found most of mine in the 10-12oz range. Some up there in the 14-16oz range.
    Good luck with whatever you choose...but I have raised both Georgia Giants and Jumbo Coturnix and for butchering purpose I would honestly go with Coturnix.
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by