Georgia Gore Wheat Seed Any Good?

Bud22LR

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jul 26, 2014
Hi all, I just got in some Georgia Gore wheat seed to sprout as fodder for the girls. I was wanting to know if anyone had used this type of wheat before and if so how good is it?
The girls love the barley fodder I started and meet me at the coop door. I only give this to them as a treat and the wheat seed is a lot cheaper than the barley seed.
Bud.

I am not familiar with the Georgia Gore seed you note. From the photograph it looks like dried peas or other such. Have you sprouted any of this as of yet? Is this a true wheat or a regional name? I would be interested in your feeding experience if your have gone ahead and used it. Sorry I can't help with your query more so.

Best to you and your birds,

RJ

Georgia Gore wheat is just a late maturing soft red winter wheat that was cultivated by the University of Georgia.
It should sprout the same/as good as most red wheat.

Also what's the picture of? Thats not Georgia Gore Wheat, looks like peas.

Hi all, I just got in some Georgia Gore wheat seed to sprout as fodder for the girls. I was wanting to know if anyone had used this type of wheat before and if so how good is it?
Commercial seeds of all kinds usually have a coating that protects the seeds from nematodes and insect pests. Most of these coatings have mercury in them. Do not feed any commercial seeds to any bird or animal either wild or tame. If you do, the coating may migrate to you or to your family in the eggs or meat.

I am with every one above. That is not anything like any wheat or any other cereal grain seed that I have ever seen.

tongue.png
You didn't win those seeds for a door prize at a Snipe hunt did you? If they are wheat seeds they look more like a Middle East Spring red wheat but even then they look to large.

I ordered Georgia Gore Wheat from a place called Seed World USA in Fla.
The photo is what they shipped me. I have a small try sprouting for two days and it has a good root system started.
If this is pea seeds will that hurt the chickens? I think I might be better off sticking to Barley the girls love it.
Thank all for the feed back, I am still learning.
Bud.

Last edited:
Commercial seeds of all kinds usually have a coating that protects the seeds from nematodes and insect pests. Most of these coatings have mercury in them. Do not feed any commercial seeds to any bird or animal either wild or tame. If you do, the coating may migrate to you or to your family in the eggs or meat.

I am with every one above. That is not anything like any wheat or any other cereal grain seed that I have ever seen.

tongue.png
You didn't win those seeds for a door prize at a Snipe hunt did you? If they are wheat seeds they look more like a Middle East Spring red wheat but even then they look to large.

LOL no hate to say I paid money for them.
Thanks for the info.
Bud.

You can sprout peas and feed them, no problem there. I just have never seen wheat that was round, it is always kind of football shaped, as per Chris09's photo. You might check with the seller and find out just what it is they sent you. I have been known to 'taste' seeds in the past, and were I near you, I might be tempted to taste those to see if they are peas.

RJ

An update to the seeds I got. After looking and researching I have come to a conclusion that I was sent Austrian Winter Pea seeds instead of Georgia Gore Wheat seeds. I e mailed the place I got the seeds no word from them ( Seed World USA) and not Seed Ranch as I stated above I will change that. Seed ranch is where I get my Barley Seed that the girls love so I will stick with them. Going to order 10lbs in Sept.
Photo of pea seeds that I can still give to the girls.
Bud.

I have not sprouted many things, your picture of the peas looks good to me, I'll have to try my hand at this I suppose. Glad you found out what you have… I guess these things happen.

RJ

Back
Top Bottom