Geotextile road fabric

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by LaurelRidgeDreams, Jan 23, 2011.

1. LaurelRidgeDreams

LaurelRidgeDreams Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2010
    Mountains of NC
    Anyone use geotextile road fabric in their run?

2. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    If I could afford it, I'd be using it under my DRIVEWAY, not for the chickens LOL (run-sized scraps are not that expensive tho)

The main problem you will run into is that chickens will dig down to it and rip up the fabric. I know it's tougher than, like, landscape fabric but I have dealt with the geotextile stuff enough (horse arenas and driveways) that it is inconcievable to me that if chickens dig down to it they would not gradually rip holes in it with their scratching around. And then you have a big ol' mess.

So, MAYBE it might be worthwhile IF you have super gloppy sand/gravel-eating clay AND are going to put at least a foot or more of sand or gravel on top of the geotextile.... but for most peoples' purposes I think it would just be a big "kick me" sign for eventual rather-hard-to-fix problems and I would not do it myself.

JMHO,

Pat

3. LaurelRidgeDreams

LaurelRidgeDreams Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2010
    Mountains of NC
    Quote:Thanks, Pat. I believe you are right. We used it for some of our farm roads and it's been wonderful.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by