Germ-X vs. hand washing

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Cat Water, Jul 16, 2010.

1. Cat Water

Cat Water That Person

Jul 4, 2010
    Mid Coast Maine
    Germ-X kills 99.99% of bacteria, but doesn't get off things like chicken poop on your hands. Hand washing gets stuff off, but you might miss some germs. What do you guys think is the best? Please tell why you think so too.

2. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    If your really concerned.. just do both...
    As for me..i just use anti-bacterial hand soap...

Last edited: Jul 16, 2010
  3. Cat Water

Cat Water That Person

Jul 4, 2010
    Mid Coast Maine
    I'm not a germophobe, I just wonder what other people think is best.

4. pbjmaker

pbjmaker Overrun With Chickens

May 9, 2008
    Central Iowa
    Hand washing, just be thorough and get the backs of hands, between fingers and under nails. I'm not a fan of hand sanatizers. Also turn off the faucet using a towel or you just pick up the germs you put on there before you washed.

5. Southernbelle

Southernbelle Gone Broody

Mar 17, 2008
    Virginia
    I'm not a fan of hand sanitizer or antibacterial soaps because they kill the good and bad bacteria. I use regular soap and water to wash hands. I haven't ever gotten food poisoning from my own cooking and I'm never sick.

6. TMNTCkins

TMNTCkins Chillin' With My Peeps

Not a big fan of germ-x but will use it when we can't wash our hands. You are supose to sing happy birthday (turn off water) while washing your hands with soap and water and that will kill just about any germs (but not the good ones). Germ-x and antibacterial soap kill all the good germs that your body needs to stay healthy.

7. kla37

kla37 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    Hillsborough, NC USA
    Hand washing has been proven to be more effective, but it has to be PROPER hand-washing. Ask a nurse.

8. PineappleMama

PineappleMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Washing, even without soap, just flat out flushes the germs off your hands.

Hand San doesn't flush any, it just kills on contact most of them... when you're talking millions 99.99% leaves plenty.

If Hand San is the only option, it's better than nothing. But I lean more to washing (also w/antibac soap if you can).

Use bleach to clean floors, bathrooms, counters, etc. since that'll kill bacteria AND viruses.
    Works great on hands too, but it's very harsh on skin.

9. mangled

mangled Chillin' With My Peeps

Our rule where I work (I'm an RN) is for light soiling, med passes, vitals, etc., it's a maximum of three times using the Germ-X and then you must wash. It's outside every room and on the med carts, everywhere.

I don't use it that much, guess I'm old school and prefer a good hand-washing. I don't feel that that little squirt of alcohol gets into all the nooks and crannies and under fingernails and all that. Also, it is quite drying to the skin, which could lead to cracked, over-dry skin which is an open invitation for germs and bacteria.

Proper hand-washing is done with warm water, and a healthy dose of soap. Wash from wrists to fingertips, making sure to get the backs of your hands and in between your fingers, under rings, under fingernails, etc. Singing Happy Birthday or Yankee Doodle is a good length of time to wash. Rinse from fingertips to wrists and dry well. Use a paper towel to turn off the faucet or you're just getting the yuckies back on your hands.

I've specialized in infection control for years in nursing homes, and have found that the majority of cross-contamination is from workers not washing their hands well. IMHO, nothing is better than a good hand-washing, but if you're in a pinch, the Germ-X will get you by until you can wash your hands. It's better than nothing.

Blessings-
    Em

10. bella1210

bella1210 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    ct
    hand washing [​IMG] [​IMG] germ x is good when you are going for a trip in the car. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by