German chickens

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by vortec, Apr 6, 2009.

1. vortec

vortec Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2009
    Martin County, NC
    I am looking to add a few more pullets to the flock to maintain a slow but steady expansion of the fleet now that I have a solid foundation of layers, with buff orps, australorps, barred rocks, leghorns, EEs etc. I am now looking to get a different type of chicken to stand out. I am looking to go back to my german roots with a chicken breed that originated in germany. So my question to you, is what breeds of german chickens are out there avalible in America, what is everybody's experience, and where are they avalible for purchase from. Thanks in advance for any input.

vortec

2. cowsgomoo

cowsgomoo New Egg

Mar 24, 2009
    Alberta
    Hi, I am actually in Canada. I have a nice breed called the Silver Spangled Hamburg. They lay a medium to large size egg, are stunning to look at. You can get them from Cackle Hatchery. I am sure they are German. I am also getting a breed called the Silver Spangled Spitzhauben or Appenzeller, also available at Cackle. They were the Swiss national bird.

3. vortec

Jan 29, 2009
    Martin County, NC
    See I thought the same of these breeds, but the hamburg is dutch and the other is from switzerland. The only breed from germany I could find on cackle was the lakenvelder. That is a stunning breed! Any experience with this anyone? Any input of any kind is welcomed.

vortec

4. ve

ve Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    Palmetto GA
    Lakenvelders has Dutch name but German origin from Westfalen area Ideal have bout golden and silver.Kraienkoppe is German too Ideal andSand Hill have them.Vowerk you can find at chickhatchery.com .Spithauben andAppenzeler are from Switzerland and Hamburg is Dutch

5. ve

ve Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    Palmetto GA
    Sorry -Vorwerk

6. banter

banter Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2008
    Raymond Maine
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2009
  7. vortec

Jan 29, 2009
    Martin County, NC
    Quote:Thanks a bunch! I am in love with the golden lakenvelders. They are sold out until june but I have signed up to be notified when they become avalible from ideal. Thats an absolutely stunning breed. Why is it not accepted into the APA, if the goldens breed true?

vortec

8. vortec

Jan 29, 2009
    Martin County, NC
    Quote:Great links, but I can't use the site because I can't read german, lol. Thanks

vortec

9. banter

Mar 3, 2008
    Raymond Maine
    Was! No sprechen deutch?[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    I can pick out a few words-had 3 years of German as a kid. I bet someone on BYC can translate!
    For instance, this chicken is a : Strupp (strupigg=unkempt, rough) and ( huhner =chicken/pullet) http://fluegelvieh.de/struppi.html
    A
    frizzle? [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 6, 2009
  10. banter

Mar 3, 2008
    Raymond Maine

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by