German National Show

ghulst

Songster
11 Years
Aug 31, 2008
Zeeland Michigan
Two week ago I had the privalige of going to the German national show in Frankfurt. It was great. They had a total of 23,400 birds. About 12,000 were pigeons with the balance being chickens,ducks,geese and turkeys.I like all poulity so this show was for me. All birds had to be entered by Oct 15. Entry cost about $10.00 each.All birds must have seamless banded.
All birds arrived on Wedesday, judged on thursday and the show opened to the public at 1PM on Friday. At that time the show catalog was also avaible for 15 eurs. The show catalog had everything that you would like to know about the show. If the bird was forsale the price was listed. There were about 300 judges. Each bird is judged against the breed standard and given a point score. I beleive that it is a much better system them we have in USA.
I arrived on thursday but since I was from America I was allowed to view the show. They were busy judging,Each judge works by himself and does about 80 birds. I didn't see a bird that surenot have been in a show. The quility was the best. The germans do breed some breeds different then we do here. Most of the bantams were bigger then we like. Most colors are better then we have. Not as many white birds as you see in our shows. One thing that inpressed me was how clean the waterfoul were after 5 days in the pens. They were given oats soaked in water for their food and water.
All birds were single decked with plastic between the back of the pens. 95% of the birds were young of 2010. They were all in one building whick was very well lighted.
Wyandottes were the biggest entry. Large 203 and 831 bantams. They were a sight to see. There were 46 New Hamshires young cocks . When the sun was shining the they were a sight to see.
I took alot of pictures. If you have a favitie breed PM me and I may have a picture for you. You can see a show report at www.bdrg.de
I will add a couple of pictures.
15188_german_trip_067.jpg

I sure liked the Barred Wyanottes

15188_german_trip_067.jpg

A impressive Pomerain goose
15188_german_trip_159.jpg

These were New Hampshires.
If you ever get a chance to go it is well worth it. If I can be of any help just PM me.

Any bantam pics, d'Uccles in particular?

How did you learn about the show? I've been contemplating a trip to Europe and would like to time it around a poultry show.

Well it is true LOL but the Germans have their own "brand" of Welsummers.

Gotta love the Dutch! (my Dutch Welsummer Bantams, that came from Nate who got them from Andre VantWeisende who he got them from Harry Pelgrim (sp). Mark Eissens is a very cool guy to get information about the Dutch Welsummers.

Back
Top Bottom