German Shepards? Predator or Pest??

MakNat

Songster
11 Years
Aug 19, 2008
Ky
My best friend just had her 1st GS litter and is giving us one!!!!! We have 3 dogs of mixed breeds that are GREAT with the birds. Never ever had a pure breed. She REALLY wants us to have on, besides, we LOVE puppies. Just wondering if any of you have Shepards and your experiences with them and chickens..??? thanks!

German Shepherds (as many other dogs) can be wonderful dogs around children and other animals if properly trained. They are very intelligent and can have a high drive which can be a problem around chickens. I have 2 German Shepherds ~ which would probably kill my chickens if I allowed the chickens or the dogs to run free at the same time. My chickens are always contained in covered runs for their own safety and the German Shepherds are never left unattended outside.

Every dog is different.

However, German Shepherds were bred for herding, not hunting, so I suspect they would be better with chickens that, for instance, terriers.

absolutely GREAT DOGS

i have had 2 whites and 1 regular

very protective very very protective especially protective of kids that live with them

in 8/10 years he/she will be a regular at the vet due to the bad hips

but SUPER SUPER dogs and i would never own anything else and im actually looking to purchase another in a year that is if i can find a white at an affordable price

when i was a baby in the crib my parents had one that slept under the crib 24/7 any other than mom and dad entering the room was a NO-NO

oh and that same dog that slept under the crib would follow my mom to the grocery store but the dog was very sneaky the dog would stay a good 10 ft behind my momma so not to be seen and everytime my mom would turn around the dog would hide behind something but you can hide that tail when mom came out the store the dog was sitting there with a big ole smile

Last edited:
training from day one will increase your chances of not having a problem and of course never leave unsupervised.

train for good recall, down (so the dog will lie down where ever it is), leave/drop it, and of course all the other obedience stuff the dog will lap it up and be eager to please but does take time love and consistancy as you probably know with your other dogs.

It is up to the owner as to how great the dog can become!! My kids were raised with GSD as was I . They are wonderful smart loving dogs.
love.gif

I got mine from a high kill shelter two years ago - He's fine around chickens, cats, house rabbits, etc. - but I stress I don't leave any of my dogs alone around my chickens - I supervise at all times.
I agree - it's all in the training

34899_angus_outside.jpg

Nice!!!! We get him as an 8 week old Wednesday! My job just changed to 3rd shift so I can be home all day!! I know I have to sleep, but him and the other dogs can nap with me! And when my husband is at home at night he can let them out, as the chickens will be in the coop! Thanks! I feel better know. I've always heard they are so smart, can't wait to work with him!

I had an 11 year old GSD that we had to put down in April due to cancer. We were devastated. It was like losing one of my children. We didn't get chickens until he was 9 and he was absolutely fine with them. A bit curious but he never chased them or harmed one of them.

We now have a 3 month old GSD puppy named Sampson that we're training to be around our chickens, ducks, geese, and guineas. He watches and we tell him, "leave it!" and he does. But it really is how you train them.

Here's our Sampson...Sammy for short.

24335_sammy_whammy_004.jpg

Back
Top Bottom