German Shepherd had surgery Need your guys help warning gross pics

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Cackling Hen, Jun 12, 2011.

1. Cackling Hen

Cackling Hen Just Scratching Around

Apr 21, 2009
    Port Angeles Wa
    Hi on Thur my GS had surgery to take off a lump the mass weighed 1.6 pounds and the cut is about 12 in long. He has been inside with cone on him. All was going well until anbout hr ago. I noticed it has come open about 2-3 inches. I call vet freaking she tells me well its after hrs so you need 200.00 dollars WHAT I just payed 850.00 for surgery I dont have no money they wont take payments. I dont have credit card i have asked my fam for money no one has it. here are some pics. Im scared to wait until morning when office will only charge me who knows how much IM SO MAD they didnt tell me if anything happens I have to pay. I asummed it was included with post op care on after care papers it says nothing about paying
    I dont have pic of open wound yet I will soon Thanks should i bandage wound leave it alone I just need to vent
    Lump
    [​IMG]
    After surgery
    [​IMG]
    My boy he weigh 125lb and is 11 years old
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 13, 2011
  2. Whiskey Bay

Whiskey Bay Chillin' With My Peeps

Do you have some type of bandage tape or sports tape?Something that sticks really good. peel a few piecs about an inch and half or so and split into 2-3 pieces(about half inch wide).Pull the wound together and place the pieces of tape across the wound. leaving about 1/2 in between for airing. Basically making butterfly sutures.you can reinforce it by adding a length of full tape across the ends of the butterfly sutures.Basically it will look like a 'tape ladder' going parallel with the wound.
    Here's an example:

[​IMG]

3. Whiskey Bay

Whiskey Bay Chillin' With My Peeps

Also try finding some shorts or something that will fit him.I know this sounds funny,but puttin shorts or sweatpants on him,will halp keep it protected from scratching or hitting it.

4. Cackling Hen

Apr 21, 2009
    Port Angeles Wa
    Ahh you guys are great Thanks what good ideas Thank you

5. Cackling Hen

Apr 21, 2009
    Port Angeles Wa
    Quote:I clean at Dr offices I can get some [​IMG]

6. happycountryhens

happycountryhens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2010
    Central NY
    Quote:X2

7. coolbreeze

coolbreeze New Egg

May 18, 2011
    I would call them back and threaten them on what kind of vet there are if it is coming apart then that tell me they did not do thur job right and let them know that you have call the BBB for now i would put some anti-biautics on it and take some strong tape and make a butterfly on it and keep the dog from chewing on it till you can get him in so they can finish there job that you payed him for and i would be very blunt with them,because he is a family member and he deserves the best.you can call the state and they can give you info on how to get some vet;s todo the right thing or get fined,<washington is the worst>

8. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

Quote:I clean at Dr offices I can get some [​IMG]

Electrical tape seems to work well. I've never had stitches myself, have always been able to patch myself up with the butterfly things and electrical tape.

9. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

Quote:How long since surgery?
    Did they use the dissolving sutures?
    Maybe his body is dissolving them before his skin has healed?
    I agree they botched something or what they did simply won't work for his body chemistry, they need to fix it and you don't need to pay for it.

10. luvinrunnin

luvinrunnin Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2011
    We had a cat spayed. She licked her incision, and it opened up. We put Dermabond on it (can use regular super glue) and that worked really well for us. WE did try the butterfly bandaid first. Now, if you can get ahold of some benzoin and steristrips from the docs, that would be great. You can cut the steri-strips in half if they are too long. You will need the benzoin to help make them stick well though. If I couldn't get that, I'd use the super glue. Burns like mad, but works well. BTW, I am an RN, so know that the benzoin and steristrips work well. It's what we put on c-section incisions after we remove the staples.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by