German Shepherd Puppys Legs???

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by ma2babygurl13, Jun 25, 2010.

1. ma2babygurl13

ma2babygurl13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    Fairborn OH
    Tucker is 5 months old and is becoming low in the pasterns. He has been raised on RAW since he was weaned. I remember reading somewhere that too much protein can cause this. Here are some pictures I took today. What do you think I should do? Can this be corrected?

His legs:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

How he stands and gaits:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Any information and what I can do to help him is greatly appreciated!

2. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    Sorry! Wrong thread. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 25, 2010
  3. Zahboo

Zahboo Simply Stated

Feb 3, 2009
    Hope Mills, NC
  4. Zahboo

Zahboo Simply Stated

Feb 3, 2009
    Hope Mills, NC
  5. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Sometimes it can be genetic as well....called weak pasterns. Since he is a young pup, I would give them some time but my GS I had, she didnt have that bowed appearances. Looks like rickets in kids.

6. bock

bock Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    Northern CA
    I hope your pup gets better. [​IMG]

7. Jamie_Dog_Trainer

Jamie_Dog_Trainer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2008
    Washington State
    I would do some research on it, I have also heard it is an imbalance of nutrients in the food. As somone else said it is also sometimes genetic, depending ond pedigree. I know American bred (traditional american GSD) can have this problem frequently. I hope you can figure out what it is. I would call his breeder and talk to them about it, they are your best resource for this specific kind of problem that may be an inherited trait. If I were you I would switch my puppy to high quality grain-free kibble and see if that begins to stort out this problem.

8. Stina

Stina Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2009
    Allentown, PA
    what is your raw diet?.......just saying raw really doesn't tell us anything....

9. Puresilk

Puresilk Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2010
    Yale
    Your pup has a mild case of ricketts. You see it pretty often in pups from bigger breeds of dogs. Cut down on the food for a couple weeks, let them get a little on the thin side to cut down on their weight, and put two tablespoons of cod liver oil in its food every day. I have dealt with this a dozen times or more with my boxers and hounds. They will straighten right up, shouldnt take more than a couple weeks. High stress can cause this in younger pups, and too high a protein can cause it as well. I only feed my puppies puppy food up until 10-12 weeks, then I mix it half and half with regular dog food until 16 weeks and then straight dog food.

10. lorieMN

lorieMN Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2008
    montevideo,MN
    Quote:I agree...looks like ricketts to me..add the oil,but I would stick with raw,if by raw you are feeding whole meats bones and organs in a ratio of %80 meat,%10 edible bone like chicken,%5 liver and %5 other organ..if you are feeding a premade raw ground crap that may be the trouble..real raw meat,whole chunks of it only run about %18 protien..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by