German Shepherd Shot

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by fc, Sep 16, 2011.

1. fc

fc Out Of The Brooder

Sep 24, 2010
    My wife works from home. She called me sounding like something was very wrong. She wanted a bb gun because there was a German Shepherd and a young retriever in our chicken coop. I told her to get the Glock G-33, .357 Sig, which she has never shot, ear muffs, and go out there and shoot the dogs. Two White-Faced Black Spanish juvenile chickens are dead, our Welsumer rooster has a walking problem, and is missing all his tail feathers, and is not active, and a Welsumer hen was wounded. I'm proud of my city girl. She said the German Shepherd was walking toward her. She fired three times, but thought she only shot twice. The last shot hit the dog in the neck, shooting through the choke collar (no tags on either dog). She said the dog went one foot, dropped, and breathed for a little bit. She didn't want to shoot "the cute pup", which was munching on one of my birds. She called the pound, who came and took the carcass and the little dog. The guy, plus my neighbors (we're on a heavily populated country road) said, "What in the world did you shoot him with?" She's saving the choke collar to show me. Wish I could see the bullet wound. I somewhat feel sorry for the dogs having crummy masters, but they committed a big sin being in my coop and killing my chickens. I'm impressed with her and the sub-compact Glock. The bad news too is that my wife is traumatized at killing someone's dog, and we might know the owners. She heard someone later that day calling out a name, which in all likelihood was for the dog/dogs. Sad that people don't take care of their animals. Not a tag, not a microchip.

2. GoldenSparrow

GoldenSparrow Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Oh My! [​IMG]

3. dainerra

dainerra Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    I know how she feels. Remind her that she didn't do anything wrong. The dogs' OWNERS did wrong. The OWNER'S are the ones who killed the dog by not taking care of it.
    It's like letting a toddler play in the freeway!

4. fc

fc Out Of The Brooder

Sep 24, 2010
    I've told her, but it's about all she is thinking about, and it's two days later.
    I should clarify- the pup is still in the land of the living; he was taken to the pound.
    All that's left of the Spanish is one foot, a wing, and a head.

5. dainerra

Jun 4, 2011
    I've been there. [​IMG] It's very difficult to deal with. I've been known to be a confrontational kind of person, so I tend to unload my guilt onto the owner's of the dog. Not something that everyone is comfortable doing for sure!

Being "right" isn't the same as being easy!

6. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    I have chickens as well and lost birds in past to neighbors dogs, on more than one occasion. Many of my birds are worth a great deal in terms of dollar value and some for personal attachment reasons. When putting value on dog versus chickens lost and potential value of having good relationship with neighbors, you chosen response was not the best long-term option. You just got a little short-term release for exacting some revenge.

7. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Wow, you tell your wife is said "You go girl!" And she shouldn't feel one ounce of guilt because, as you said, you were protecting your chickens. But in a way, it shows she is compassionate. A good person.

It always bothers me when I have to cull a chicken for what ever reason. I feel a little sad and kind of strange after I do it. But it's necessary sometimes. After a few days, I feel better.

8. dainerra

Jun 4, 2011
    Quote:I don't think it's a matter of revenge. It's also a matter of public safety. Unknown dogs, in prey drive, can be dangerous. Esp untrained dogs that are roaming loose. Are the dog's possessive? It's pretty easy to get bitten taken something away from your own dog, let alone a strange dog.

Plus, the simple matter is, in most areas it's the law. Dog attacking livestock = dead dog.

9. terrilhb

terrilhb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Georgia
    I personally would not want to ever have to shoot anything. But to protect my animals if I have to I will do what needs to be done. Give her a big hug and tell her job well done. And that she did nothing wrong. It was the owners fault. I am so sorry for the loss of your birds. [​IMG] to all.

10. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    Before owning chickens, I would preach to her about how terrible and horrible person she was for doing this. I would have told her to call the proper authorities and speak with the owners. Today, I agree with what she did. I don't know if I could have done it, but I do agree with her dispatch of the offender. I have come to understand how "the proper authorities" feel about chickens and as chicken owners, we will have to take their safety and worth into our own hands. I hope the trauma will pass for her and by watching her chickens every day and loving them and enjoying their silly antics, she will eventually be relieved of guilt. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by