Gertys babies are dead?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by oesdog, Jul 8, 2011.

1. oesdog

oesdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    Ireland
    My hen Gerty has been on the nest near the whole time and is really into the whole brooding thing this year. However this morning I went to check on her as there was peeping and pips in the eggs last night. This morning one chick was out of its shell and is dead no injury so doesn't look like Momma hen turned on it. There is a piped egg with a beak out but it also looks dead? Does anyone have a notion what has happened at this stage???

They are internet bought Leghorn eggs under a Maran hen. 21 days were up last night.

Oesdog [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 8, 2011
  2. Sailing Dede

Sailing Dede Out Of The Brooder

May 24, 2011
    Bradwell-On-Sea
    I am so sorry. I have no idea what happened here as I have not got enough experience in the field.
    Very sad...

3. quintinp

quintinp Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2010
    Southern Oklahoma
    did she get off of them for a long period of time??? i have never had a broody, but know a lot about hatching chicken eggs, and i have absolutely no idea as to why they are dead except that maybe they got really cold, or she pecked the one that hatched too hard in the back of it's head and could have died instantly,,,,,,,???? sorry but i dont really have much of a clue, could they have gotten too hot??

4. oesdog

Jun 7, 2010
    Ireland
    More likely too hot - Gerty only left the nest for 45 mins the hole of the 21 days and then I had to kick her off with a stick because she wouldn;t eat or drink or get off the nest to poo!

I am baffled and really sad today as I don;t think any of the chicks are alive?

Oesdog [​IMG]

5. oesdog

Jun 7, 2010
    Ireland
    Another hatched Gerty killed it!
    She is a killer hen!

Oesdog - we removed the remaining 4 eggs to the incubator am not sure if they will hatch now. [​IMG]

6. Tiss

Tiss Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2010
    Georgia
    Bad Gerty!

I hope you have luck with the remaining chicks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by