Get a roo?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Chicken 3033, Aug 7, 2014.

1. Chicken 3033

Chicken 3033 Out Of The Brooder

I was originally completely convinced about adding a roo to my flock. But now I am not so sure. I have read a lot of bad things about them and also there is this ordinance in my town where if a neighbor complains of the rooster to town because of noise, we have to get rid of it! Do you think that will be a problem, because I don't really know if that is one of the laws that the town is serious about enforcing, or that the neighbors even know about this one. I really don't know what to do about it because I still sort of want to add a roo to my flock pretty badly, but the cons sort of outweigh the pros. Any advice would be helpful. Thanks!

2. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    I would definitely avoid the roosters for several reasons. First, roosters will crow, often and at all hours, and some neighbors will complain. Second, the only really good reason to add a rooster to your flock is if you want fertilized eggs for hatching. Third, unless you follow the recommended 1 rooster for every 10 hens ratio, a rooster can be very hard on your hens physically; over-breeding them, injuring them with their beaks and spurs, and battering them. Fourth, even with 10 hens, your rooster may decide to mate with only his favorite hens, so you will still have some over-bred, injured, and battered hens. Fifth, hens frequently lay better without a rooster as they are in better shape (for the reasons that I covered above). I currently have 25 hens, no roosters, and I get loads of eggs without feeding any non-egg laying mouths, without the aggression, fights, crowing in the middle of the night, injuries, and over-bred and battered hens that frequently goes along with having roosters. I know some BYC members will disagree with me, but I think your flock is better off without a rooster; the cons of having a rooster way outweigh the pros. I end up responding to members threads, four or five times a week on average, who are having nothing but problems with their rooster.

3. CrazyChookLady5

CrazyChookLady5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2013
    Australia, NSW
    I would only get a rooster if your 100% sure you want one. although if you do get one and realise that you don't want it you could kill or sell/give it away.
    you would most likely want a kind rooster (ive never heard of someone wanting a cranky roo :p) some breeds are better than others, and when I say better I mean kindness wise. for example I have silkie rooster and they are a lot quieter than my other roosters that have white leghorn and RIR breeds in them. although then it can depend on their personalities.
    the plus about getting a rooster is that you can hatch out your own chickies and for me that's a novelty that I never get bored of! and I'm not really sure if this is a myth or if its true but I've heard that fertile eggs are even more healthier to eat then normal eggs.

I got a silkie rooster probably about 2 years ago now I haven't really ever regretted getting him! it took me a lot of deciding before I made the decision to get him but im happy that I got a roo! although I do live on the farm and have plenty of room for him and theres no neighbours to complain about his noise (and all my other roos)

Michael OShay said in his post that roosters can make your hens lay less, but personally I don't think this has happened to me. I reckon my chooks have still been laying eggs the same as before getting a roo. but then I do agree with the aggression and fighting I have two rooster in particular that seem to be always fighting over the ladies, its not really bad fighting (if it was I would definatly stop it!)

anyways I hope this has helped! :)

4. Chicken 3033

Thanks everyone for all the advice! I'm leaning towards getting a rooster, so maybe I'll get a silkie if I do! I have to think about it a little more, but I'm pretty sure I want one in to my flock! :b

5. Michael OShay

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    This depends partly on the kind of rooster and how badly they beat up the hens. Silkie roosters are very gentle as roosters go.

6. Chicken 3033

We are getting a silkie roo (pullet) march 2015, after talking with family about it! :) Might seem like a long time from now, but I thought it would be best to add a rooster to the flock in early spring, for me it always seems like the best time to add members to the flock. We seem to have enough ladies for one rooster, 8, and like you said Michael OShay, silkies are gentle birds. I'm so excited to be adding my first rooster to the flock, but then again, 8 more months to go! :celebrate

7. Michael OShay

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    You should be fine with that combination. :eek:)

8. Chicken 3033

Thanks! :b

Last edited: Aug 8, 2014
  9. big medicine

big medicine custom Brahmas

Mar 6, 2009
    Ohio
    Plus if the law would come out, you could always pass the silkie off as a angora rabbit, or long haired guinea pig, or something else the kids brought home from a pet store. [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 8, 2014
  10. Chicken 3033

:yuckyuck Yeah! :lau

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by