Get Blue Laced Red Wyndottes to be an APA reconized breed!!!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by jgoldy2, Dec 26, 2014.

1. jgoldy2

jgoldy2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2014
    Colorado
    I show chickens and this spring got a Blue Laced Red Wyndotte (BLRW) today I was reading a breed book and heard that the rare BLRWs aren't an APA reconized breed, and that comes upon a recent registration for National Western Stock Show, and my girl is so pretty, sweet and calm. What do I do? And lets try to get the breed APA recognized!

2. Twistedfeather

Twistedfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2014
    Oregon
    APA requirements for recognition of a new breed or variety are:

-A petition for recognition of any breed or variety of any domestic or foreign breed, must be sent to the Secretary giving history of it's origin, breeding background, and with facts of educational nature. Included shall be the proposed name of the breed or variety with a standard for shape,color and weight, written in the same style and format as the Standard of Perfection and included with the petition with copyright assigned to the American Poultry Association Inc.

-There needs to be no less than five breeders stating they have bred the breed or variety for five years and that you do not produce 50 percent of the population of the breed that are reasonably true to type, color, size, and comb

-Certificates shown that you have shown two or more specimen of each cockerel, cock, pullet, hen class by an APA licensed judge.

- A sum to defray the cost of putting text in the standard which would be returned if submission is rejected

The committee has the ultimate say of whether the bird is accepted or not. But it sounds like a fun project.

3. jgoldy2

Jul 8, 2014
    Colorado
    Okay thanks, I have show coming up so after show I will work on it

4. rainbowrooster

rainbowrooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 26, 2011
    A great deal of help may come from the Wyandotte Breeders Club. You will want the help when dealing with the APA down the road. Its a bid deal and it takes time and money to get a new variety recognized.

You should contact the Marans Breeders Clubs to see how they organized their efforts to get their birds accepted

5. jgoldy2

Jul 8, 2014
    Colorado
    thanks I didn't know anything about that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by