Get More Hens or Leave Flock Dynamics Alone?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by birdwatcherohio, Oct 24, 2011.

1. birdwatcherohio

birdwatcherohio Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2011
    Bethel, Ohio
    I have 5 six month old large fowl Buff Orpingtons: 3 cockerels and 2 pullets. They have been a flock since birth.

I am wondering if I need to add more hens to the flock or am I better off to avoid adding more hens to an established flock.

Any advice would be appreciated.

2. Zanna

Zanna Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 14, 2010
    Jefferson, Oregon
    3 cockerals to 2 hens will be too hard on the hens when the boys come of age (if not already). Definitely get more hens or scale down the roos. Maybe someone else will chime in here, I think the ratio is at least 5 hens to 1 cockeral............

3. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    Yep, you either need more hens or two less roosters.

4. chick-in-florida

chick-in-florida Chillin' With My Peeps

a happy rooster is one with 8 to 10 hens of his own

5. LiLRedCV

LiLRedCV Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2010
    Land of the Rain
    Quote:x2

6. Mommy 2 Wee Ones

Mommy 2 Wee Ones Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2011
    North Texas
    I have one roo to 14 hens, and now that the girls are coming of age, my BR are not being courted as much. They were to first to come of age & were getting a bit too much attention. No feather loss, but a lot of squawking from the 2 girls for almost a month. Now 5 are of age, so there is still squawking, but there is more love to go around now. What is nice now, is I now know who will soon be laying eggs, as I see who our roo is visiting. [​IMG]

We got 5 eggs yesterday, which told me that two of our BO are now laying. Now only 4 more BO hens to go. My other 5 hens are not even close to coming of age, so they are safe from our roos advances.....for now. [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. kari_dawn

kari_dawn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas
    Quote:x2

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by