get new chickens in

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chicken cooper, Sep 17, 2011.

1. chicken cooper

chicken cooper Out Of The Brooder

Sep 25, 2009
    OK I have integrated 23wks with 1yrs but the young ones don't go into the coop.

This is ok now but this winter they will freeze to death. They are sitting on an out side perch.What should I do to get them inside?I have tried using treats but they run when the older ones come around. plus they are about to lay eggs soon and where will the eggs go? plop on tthe ground?

Last edited: Sep 17, 2011
  2. navasima

navasima Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    New Mexico
    Try puting them in after it's dark. Sometimes when they all wake up together it's a smoother transition. I've had to do this for a couple of new birds, but by the third night they were going right on in. Hope this helps!

3. magicpigeon

magicpigeon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2010
    Try moving them at night. Or even removing the older ones for a day...? [​IMG]

4. emrys

emrys Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2009
    I set up barriers that forced the new chickens toward the pop door. By slowly herding the gang toward the door and not crowding them most walked up the ramp and into their new home. A few had to be caught and put inside. The second night most walked in on their own and a few stragglers had the have the barrier set up and be "encouraged". By the third night Vern had fallen for his new girls and waited outside and talked sweetly until they all were inside. I left food and water in the coop the first few days and didn't let anyone out until a couple of hours later than usual. Between Vern, food and nests they quickly learned to accept the new coop.

5. soccerbabiesmama

soccerbabiesmama Out Of The Brooder

Sep 22, 2010
    Our newf had to herd them into the coop at night a couple of times. Drooly newf outside, or comfy shavings and roost outside. They sleep inside now:)

Last edited: Sep 18, 2011
  6. chicken cooper

Sep 25, 2009
    Ok tonight I am going to herd them into the coop and block the under coop area.I think catching them may be more than I can handle as they are silver lace and quite large and I am 75 years old.

7. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Can you easily remove the outside roost. I'm new to chickens, but I have found if they don't have a perch at night they may try to go inside to look for one. Is your coop big enough inside for the younger birds to get away from the older ones? If you can get in there with them too you could also try to lure them inside with their favorite treat, then shut them in. Wish you luck.

8. chicken cooper

Sep 25, 2009
    Last eve we removed the roosts out side . The older chicks were inside and we were able to grab the young ones and put them in the coop one at a time.This morn all was quiet and out they came one at a time. nice I took the food out so they have to go inside to eat. I hope this will work for tonight. any more suggestions?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by