Get off my patio!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by kathateria, Feb 18, 2016.

1. kathateria

kathateria Out Of The Brooder

Feb 17, 2016
    Hi from UK.
    I have a back door,which opens on to a patio. That leads on to a lawn and small pond. But the ducks wont go on to the garden. they stay by the door,its like a sea of poo when we go outside!
    We have watering cans by the door,to wash away the poo. How can I get them onto the lovely soft garden?
    I do heard them on,but they always come back

2. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome from Yorkshire UK

I dont have ducks but thought I would just say can you block them off from the patio? I have read quite a lot of ducks hanging around doors though! They obviously love being with you or know where the treats come from ;)

Good luck hope you can get a clean patio soon!

3. kathateria

Feb 17, 2016
    I'm worried they may not feel safe on there. I think they like the protection by the door. Maybe they feel exposed? Any else find this? The one fence is panel, but the other side is see through mesh.

I will put pics on later. Can you do it on a tablet?

4. cayugaducklady

cayugaducklady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2015
    New England USA
    My girls like to flirt with the sexy duck reflections in the door.

I put a doggie pool in that area. They spend less time flirting and more time playing in water with the pool nearby.

1 person likes this.
  5. kathateria

Feb 17, 2016
    Here are the culprits,are they all girls?[​IMG]

6. kathateria

Feb 17, 2016
    Weve has them two weeks,no sign of eggs yet. They know our routine now,so when will they feel comfortable enough to lay.? I think they are 20 weeks,maybe a little more.
    Thanks very much

Last edited: Feb 18, 2016
  7. lomine

lomine Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2015
    Peyton, CO
    I don't see any drake feathers so I'd say they are all hens. They may still be a little young to start laying but the bigger issue is probably the lack of sunlight. They need 14 hours a day of light so they may not start laying till the days get longer. Especially since it's their first lay.

Mine like to hang out by my back door and poo all over my patio too. I don't like all the poop but it's easy enough to hose off. They do go around the yard too to explore. Do you have any bushes or trees they can hang out under? Giving them something to hide under may help.

1 person likes this.
  8. kathateria

Feb 17, 2016
    I've tried to create a fenced area in the garden. There is a little area there that I think they will adopt as a secure place,as its sheltered by ivy. I will test them tomorrow, Thanks for the advice.

9. Henrik Petersson

Henrik Petersson Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 9, 2009
    Karlskrona, Sweden
    My guess is that the garden feels too exposed for them. You could try putting some garden furniture on it, like chairs and tables. Or anything else they can hide under. That table on your photo seems popular. ;)

The best scenario is probably to spread the shelters out instead of cramping them in a small area.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2016
  10. kathateria

Feb 17, 2016
    Well,i fenced off the back door,so i dont break my neck slipping on duck poo and buried a kiddies pool on the garden,which they show no interest for!
    However.... we've had our first eggs! One yesterday and one today! Very happy[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by