Get Promoted

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by TommyVT05, Feb 9, 2008.

1. TommyVT05

TommyVT05 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2008
    Southern California
    Hi Everyone,

I have a quick question for those of you who has their own website. Now, how or where do you go to get your site promoted in which it could appear on search engines within the first and second page?

I tried submitting my link to google, yahoo, but it doesn't seem to work because its always iffy. They clearly state "We don't promise that your site will be put up for crawl" <---something of the like.

Anyways, I don't know how to work it. I need to know how soon because I am building a website for a friend of mine now and I need his website to be searchable anywhere...

So...does that make the difference between a paid webpage vs. a free webpage?

Tommy

2. ZuniBee

ZuniBee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2007
    Zuni, Virginia
    There are a lot of ways to promote your site. Just submitting it to google and yahoo won't really do much good. You should submit to as many search engines as you can. Also, links to your site are really the most important. The more people you can get to exchange links (on relevent sites) the higher you go up on the search engine results.....

It's something you have to work at all the time and unfortunately can't just submit once and get the results you want......

3. TommyVT05

Feb 6, 2008
    Southern California
    Hi ZuniBee,

Yes. Thanks for the tips. I have JUST done that but it seems like there aren't that many Phoenix and Onagadori pages out there. I can see why you say it will take some time because some webpages out there havn't been updated in a while the the web owners e-mail don't work anymore, hence, "Mailor Demon".

I got about 3 very nice web managers who have been BIG with Onagadori and Phoenix to look @ my page to approve. It does look good but need to be up a little more to PAR (by that, more details for my area of interest).

What do you think of my page so far?

4. ZuniBee

ZuniBee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2007
    Zuni, Virginia
    Your site is very nice! You did a great job on it.

So...does that make the difference between a paid webpage vs. a free webpage?

I'm not sure if the free vs paid has anything to do with it. I have to admit the first thing I saw was the ad and thought to myself its on a free ad supported site. So instantly my expectations were not high. However, once I saw your site I was quite impressed.

My personal opinion is the free sites are not taken as seriously but I can't prove it. So many of the free sites are created every day and a large percentile are not maintained.​

5. TommyVT05

Feb 6, 2008
    Southern California
    Cool,

I have sent my webpage for crawl on Yahoo and Google. Hopefully, the site manager accepts my link and hopefully, I can get more traffic later on. I needed this because soon, I am building up Cy Hyde's page himself and I will need more traffic and more well known in order for his webpage to be linked to more successfully.

Tommy

6. hooligan

hooligan Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2007
    Arkansas
    If its a free webpage it will not show up in searches.

7. lacyloo

lacyloo Cooped Up

May 26, 2007
    north florida
    awsome

8. TommyVT05

Feb 6, 2008
    Southern California
    Hi,

"free webpages don't show up on search engines?"

I actually tried to search for my website on Yahoo under "Tommy's Pet Center" in quote and it linked me to it, but the problem was, without the quotes, it would take forver to find it.

I guess I don't have that many number of hits right now to show up within the first and second page.

Another thing I made a note of was this one other person who uses Freewebs, for some reason, got their website with so many hits that it shows up in the 1st and 2nd page of all search engine. That person hasn't gotten back to me on how that was done yet.

Anyways...any other suggestions you could give me?

Thanks

9. hooligan

hooligan Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2007
    Arkansas
    Wow. I have been told by web designers this wouldn't work. Glad you cleared it up.
    Maybe try to get everyone on this forum and everyone you know to do searches for your site and get some hits going [​IMG]

10. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    You have to create traffic. People want to come your website. The more traffic, the more updates, the more interesting pages for spiders to crawl the more you move up in the search engines. Lots of my blog pages show up 1st on google but my main page does not. Create interest, create traffic and they will come. It is not something that happens in a week or a month. People put alot of time and effort into their websites and it pays off. Mine has been up and runing for over 5 years now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by