1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Get ready to start itching... this thread is about Chicken Lice

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by CharterChick, Aug 30, 2014.

1. CharterChick

CharterChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2014
    Aberdeen, WA
    My Coop
    This just about has me at wits end! In the last 2 months I have had chickens with wry neck, scissor beak, sour crop, fatty liver/heart disease, I have one chicken that sneezes around specific bedding, they are all being treated for cocci right now and while I was examining one of the chicken's vent area I saw a bug... not just any bug. LICE! I got my chickens from my dad. They all roam free. He doesn't check them for anything so I do believe this is where my problems are based at. We finally caught the last chicken 6 days ago and since they are all from the same flock to begin with I didn't quarantine. I know that was dumb. I'm paying for it trust me.
    How do I get rid of the lice?
    There are several different forums on what to use. I don't care as long as it doesn't hurt the chicken, and works!
    So whats the best stuff to use? I've read DM, kitten flea powder, sevin, Vaseline...
    My chickens are on Corid right now for Cocci... Can anything be used on the chickens for the lice while they are on meds?

Thank you for any help! I called my vet but he doesn't specialize in aviary so he wasn't sure.

2. CHICKLOVER69

CHICKLOVER69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2014
    Sulphur, Louisiana
    I am new to chickens so I've been reading a lot. Food grade diatemaceus(spelling) earth is supposed to kill fleas,mites and other pests. I've also read that putting a little mixed with their food will kill worms, but another member said this was not true. Sprinkle in the coop,run and where they like to dust bath. Dont remember seeing anything about lice though. Type " lice " in the search bar and you will find your answer. Good luck.

3. CHICKLOVER69

CHICKLOVER69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2014
    Sulphur, Louisiana
    The search bar is my friend

4. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    If you want to get rid of the lice right away dust the chickens with seven dust and do it again in 10 days. You can play around with DE but you'll wind up using something else any way to get the job done. I would have liked to do things more chemical free but it wasn't effective for me.

5. CharterChick

Jul 21, 2014
    Aberdeen, WA
    My Coop
    I just want them gone! I'll go get the sevin dust then. Thank you!

6. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    Just dust carefully. You don't want them or yourself to breathe it in.

7. CharterChick

Jul 21, 2014
    Aberdeen, WA
    My Coop
    Ok the deed is done I carefully put sevin on 18 chickens, 3 turkeys and 5 guineas. I wore a mask just in case. I know I was doing something they didn't like but my rooster attacked me 2 times. Once when I was trying to grab him and again when I put him down! I slapped him the second time but is this normal or should I send him to freezer camp? I grabbed him first he used to be very nice but has been challenging me lately...

8. CharterChick

Jul 21, 2014
    Aberdeen, WA
    My Coop
    Ok the deed is done I carefully put sevin on 18 chickens, 3 turkeys and 5 guineas. I wore a mask just in case. I know I was doing something they didn't like but my rooster attacked me 2 times. Once when I was trying to grab him and again when I put him down! I slapped him the second time but is this normal or should I send him to freezer camp? I grabbed him first he used to be very nice but has been challenging me lately...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by