Get rid of my Girls ?

Discussion in 'Local Chicken Laws & Ordinances (and how to change' started by chicken_ladyGA, Apr 23, 2009.

1. chicken_ladyGA

chicken_ladyGA Out Of The Brooder

Jun 18, 2008
    Chatsworth,Georgia
    Animal Control showed up saying I do not live in an Agricultural Community . I can pay $50.00 and have a public hearing to see if I can keep my chickens and he wants rid of them today . I have one hen laying on 15 eggs . I have cried so much . I genuinelly love my chickens . Its like asking someone to get rid of their dog or cat .

2. cozycritters

cozycritters Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2008
    Tucson, Arizona
    Have you checked the Chapters and Ordinances for your area?

Sometimes AC is just WRONG. They don't always know all the rules.

Getting a variance sounds like it would be worth it.

Good luck! I'm so sorry you have to deal with this!

3. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

He wants you to get rid of them today?! It's true that just because they are animal control doesn't mean they know the letter of the law in regards to chickens. Don't rush to get rid of your girls. You have to check out your city ordinances re chickens and ask to be shown the one that states you cannot keep chickens. Check out the thread by b.hromada in this section, lots of good advice and ideas on dealing with this. Meet with the city council, what ever you have to do but don't be bullied into getting rid of them right away. How did he find out about the chicken's? Did a neighbor complain?
    Good luck, hope you are able to work it out and keep them. I myself would far rather live next to a chicken owning neighbor then one with non stop barking dogs.

4. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Agreed with both posts--know exactly what the code states and where you live. Also find out if your may be grandfathered in. Some bureaucrats know their code backwards and forwards and others "make it up" on the fly.

Unless he has a valid warrant (which will be signed by a judge), don't let him on your property or allow him to take your birds.

5. OSUman

OSUman GO BUCKS

Apr 17, 2009
    Central Illinois
  6. chicken_ladyGA

chicken_ladyGA Out Of The Brooder

Jun 18, 2008
    Chatsworth,Georgia
    I checked online and the most I have gathered is that the land zoning took place in 2003. I purchased my home in 2002. They found out about us because we are building a new room onto our house and a barn. We had to get permits for these. So when Building Inspector came out he brought code enforcement with them . I know earlier I said Animal Control but it ws fresh and I was distraught lol . I later figured out it was Code Enforcement . Said im a part of a subdivision but only the back of my property joins it I have a whole different street address . My drive goes out to a diff road than the subdivision . So in order to not get put behind on my new additon to the house Im gonna send my chickens and goat to live w the MIL for a while til we get inspected and finished . I will bring them back after that and fight fight for my right !!!!

Thanks for all yalls help !
    P>S> Will I be considered granfathered in because it was passed after I lived here ?

7. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

Hang on!

If you move the chickens then bring them back you could lose your grandfathering because of the break in keeping them. Oh my, giving you one day is not reasonable under any system, and I bet it isn't legal. Call your municipal rep and complain.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2009
  8. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Absolutely unreasonable! And sounds like you need to research more before you make a move. If you send them elsewhere, you will mess up the grandfathering laws, IMO.

9. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Definitely check on the grandfathering--most places do use grandfathering to some extent; a few unfortunately do not. Rather than take your chickens to your MIL's and risk losing grandfathering priviledges, you can put them in the garage, basement or house as needed: then they will never have left your property.

If you are not part of the subdivision, but merely adjacent to it, then you are not subject to its codes. You are subject to the codes where your property is. Note that there may be special provisions for property that abuts a different zoning.

I think you have a lot of reading to do. Most zoning and city codes are online.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by