Get rid of old hens before adding pullets?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by starchicky, Nov 9, 2014.

1. starchicky

starchicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2013
    Oregon
    My two oldest hens have stopped laying and I have some new pullets to add to the flock soon. There are two other laying hens. I've been trying to decide if it would be best to remove the two non-laying hens before introducing the pullets? That way everyone would need to establish new pecking order all at once?

2. islandgirl82

islandgirl82 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2014
    Maine
    The pecking order will change as soon as you remove a single bird and it will change again once new birds are introduced.

3. starchicky

starchicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2013
    Oregon
    Yep, that's why I was wondering if it would be better to just have it happen all at once, since the pecking order will already be changing when I add the pullets.

4. mightymax

mightymax Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2013
    Central Coast, CA
    Are you removing the hens that are no longer laying in order to cull them or ???

Because if your intention is to cull the old girls due to loss of lay, then I would just do it all at once.
    No need to put the old ladies through another pecking order ordeal if you're just going to cull them
    shortly thereafter.

-kim-

Last edited: Nov 10, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    An excellent idea, good thinking!

6. islandgirl82

islandgirl82 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2014
    Maine
    Agreed, there's no point in stressing out your culls with a change of pecking order.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by