Get rid of the rooster? Advice

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by billmac, Oct 25, 2010.

1. billmac

billmac Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    I have 13 1.5 year old hens, and 5 new pullets, except one of the pullets turned out to be a rooster (all Rhode Island Reds). The youngsters are about 6 months old and the pullets are starting to lay. The rooster is doing what roosters do. He chases the hens all over the place. We originally assumed we had to get rid of him because we didn't want fertilized eggs and we didn't want him harassing the hens (and our ducks). But we really like him, and like the crowing. Also, upon looking up info about fertilized eggs, it turns out that things like blood spots and stringy whites that happens occasionally are not indicators of fertilization. We could just kill him and eat him, but would rather not.

So the question: Is his presence unnecessarily hard on the hens? (we are not interested in hatching out our own chicks)

I may be able to place him in a good home, so that is another option.

Thanks

2. Cloverleaf Farm

Cloverleaf Farm Bearded Birds are Best

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    If you like him, keep him. Plus, if you free range your girls, he will help protect them from potential threats. It sounds like you have plenty of girls for him, so unless he chooses a "favorite" he shouldn't be unnecessarily rough on them once he gets past his goofy "just figuring it all out" phase and becomes more of a gentleman. I'd say try keeping him for a while and see how it goes, if at any point it isn't working, then rehome or eat him.

3. bburn

bburn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2010
    Delaware, Arkansas
    I like the crowing. My RIRs crowed the best. Unfortunately they turned mean on me....too many, wayaaay too many. So I, ahum, rehomed them all and kept a BO and BR roo.

I gather eggs every day so I am not at all concerned about fertilized eggs. In the spring if someone goes broody that will be fine with us and we will start some new chicks.

So, I am saying it is only up to you what you want. If you like the crowing. Keep him. One rooster and 18 hens.....he should not be wearing any one hen out that way.

4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    My rooster is the provider of good foods for my hens. He is their protector. He also fertilizes their eggs. He's also the peacekeeper when fights break out amongst the hens. All things I love him for.
    I am buying store bought eggs right now because my hens are in a molt (not laying). Of the 8 store bought eggs I cracked for supper night before last, 4 had blood spots, 1 had a meat spot.

5. wendy

wendy On the Hill

Jun 14, 2007
    central louisiana
    I don't know if you have children, but our rooster ended up trying to go after our son. My husband killed it, he would not give a 'problem' to someone else and feel bad if something happened. Plus my stepmom had a niece that had to have surgery after having a rooster attack her. Our rooster was quite large, a barred rock with huge spurs [​IMG]

6. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

That's entirely up to you and your view of your hens. If he's harrassing them to the point of stressing them out or wearing their backs, I'd either rehome him or stick him in the pot. But I value my hens more than a rooster. I did rehome a young rooster who was rough on my girls (they would run from him, shrieking, and one would fight him and ended up with a bloody comb. Plus he was hard on their backs.), and found an older one with a lot more courtesy, and my girls love him.
    Your roo is young, so he could outgrow his hormonal antics and learn some manners by spring time. Or he could stay exactly as he is...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by