getten rid of rats

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by daveyblevins, Mar 5, 2013.

1. daveyblevins

daveyblevins Out Of The Brooder

Feb 27, 2013
    chilhowie va
    if i mix cyanne pepper or chilli pepper in with my feed will it stop rats from eating it and will it hurt my chickens and if i put it in the rat holes will they go away?

Last edited: Mar 5, 2013
  2. akashia26

akashia26 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2012
    Washington Co. AL
    get a metal garbage can fill it half full of water and scatter scratch or whole corn on top. put some chicken wire over the top. that will prevent the chickens from falling in but lets the rats in. lean a few sticks over it up to the rim. dip out the dead rats atleast every other day.

pepper isn't going to stop rats.

3. daveyblevins

Feb 27, 2013
    chilhowie va
    ok thanks for the help i will try it today

4. BillHoo

BillHoo Out Of The Brooder

Mar 4, 2008
    That bucket trap works really well! I've caught dozens per night. I also put just a little squirt of dish soap in the water to help break the surface tension and really wet the rats fur so he gets heavier. In the winter, mix in a cup of salt in the water so it doesn't freeze. (safer than anti-freeze) It also drop the freezing temp of the water below freezing so that the rodent freezes to death.

I made mine from a 5 gallon kitty litter bucket and smeared peanut butter on the inside just above the water line. The rats have to reach down to get toward the peanut butter and tend to fall over into the water.

This is another variation I made using a coat hanger wire across the top as a spindle threaded through an old soda can smeared with peanut butter. (not my video - but same concept)

Last edited: Mar 6, 2013
  5. daveyblevins

Feb 27, 2013
    chilhowie va
    ok thanks i really have a rat problem and i put some poision out but all of it is gone now and i went to feed the chickens and i saw 7 rats eaten corn so i really have to do something about them asap but i will try that.

6. arcy liger

arcy liger Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2012
    i just leave some food for two day for them to feed in a cage in which only rats can go and after two or three days add poison in their food .......... its simple but be carefull

7. daveyblevins

Feb 27, 2013
    chilhowie va
    yea i have done that and i just made me one of them buckets and im going to make 2 or 3 more so i should be good and thanks for all the help i really needed it

8. BillHoo

BillHoo Out Of The Brooder

Mar 4, 2008
    Or, if you want to have some fun, this woman had attached one of those Sony low-light handicams to the scope of her high-powered pellet rifle and it works great as a night vision sight!

She's also a fantasti shot!

Her Youtube videos go under the moniker Cubleycat or Snipercat and she shows how she sets up her rifle.

I love watching her night time rat shooting safaris around her barn and coop!

Last edited: Mar 6, 2013
  9. daveyblevins

Feb 27, 2013
    chilhowie va
    i might just try that too

10. zhairdzinr

zhairdzinr New Egg

Mar 4, 2013
    Thanks!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by