Gettib\ng depresed here. Not meant to insult anyone

Rhett&SarahsMom

Songster
11 Years
May 8, 2008
I have a degree. I had to work my butt off to get it. Paid all of my college education myself. No help from mom or dad and little help from loans. Then I had to bust my hump to get a decent job. I am self taught on computers. Self taught on typing etc etc. Finally landed myself a job at an Ivy League University in the intellectual copyright dept. Had an office. With a DOOR!
Then I got pregnant. After doctors had told me that I would "need help getting and staying pregnant"
I had planned on going back to work after my maternity leave.
But then I held her.

So I have been SAHM/Daycare provider/Small business owner for the last 6 years. And now my baby is going to be starting KG the beginning on Sept. I had been thinking YAY! I can go back to work! I have been keeping up with things. Not letting my brain become mush or my skill set stagnate. Then I realized what the school day is. Basically 6 hours. And what the after school programs are here = CRAP. Cant find a decent daycare provider that will take my dd part time until 5:30pm Most close at 430

So here I am. Applying at fast food restaurants that dont even have "college" on the applications. And have questions about your grades in school. I am so freaking depressed right now.

I am going to be going to be starting a new "career" in fast food. Luckily the minimum wage here is $8 an hour. But after taxes that will probably be more like $4 an hour. So what the piddly amount of my paychecks is going to do to "help around the house" is beyond me. Maybe fill the tank on the car(mid size SUV) But most likely not much more than that.

Sorry.. just feeling poorly about myself. ignore me

Are there any openings in the school system? I have a friend that is a cafeteria worker and another that works in the office at a school close to her home and Dad gets the kids on the bus in the morning, and she's home by the time they get off in the afternoon.

Might be worth a shot - at least a bit better working environment...maybe...

Hope you find something that works for you - good part time work is hard to find, and like you say, if you have to pay for afterschool care it eats so much of your paycheck it can make more financial sense just to stay home.

Good luck finding something to work for you!

Rhett&SarahsMom :

So I have been SAHM/Daycare provider/Small business owner for the last 6 years.

So why change? Become a licensed day care provider & have your work come to you, saves gas...... Offer "after hours day care" to get going. You just said you need & can't find - fill the nitch. Think of the income tax write offs from working @ home, portions of your utilities are now tax deductible, food bill again portion is write off, home improvements etc now a write off & your work is coming to you.

What better way, for a win-win situation. Talk about rewarding work. Can you tell I used to? My mom still does, we can't go any where with out running in to an "old" client - talk about a sense of community - & I'm in a state capital city......​

Thats too bad- I know how you feel. (I think)

I am thinking a home business that does not include daycare. Some kind of business that can maybe get you out with adult people sometimes and some computer work at home. There must be something you can do that you like and can fill a special niche. Organic foods are more popular than ever. Something on those lines. Organic soaps and candles. Helping people organize their finances, organize their houses (home disaster repair)
tongue.png
, my brain is in stall mode right now.

Writing childrens books, chicken books, photographing at weddings, try Target you may be able to get a job photographing there. The beginning of the school year is a good time for that type of job. With some experience you can start yout own photography business. Senior portraits are very lucrative. Just brainstorming a little.

How about helping college students, tutoring, writing papers, starting a business to organize peoples busy lives, to help people set up and organize their moves from one house to another.

working with elderly can be gratifying, many elderly need people to come into their homes to help out, companionship, drive places. There can be high end jobs here too, if you find the right niche. Baking goods? All healthy and Natural?

You just reminded me of something.......to make a list each day of what I am grateful for. Thank You

Although these all may sound like a step down, try and keep your head up, it could be a preparation for something else. And try to look for the good in what you do, there could be hidden lessons to learn.

Last edited:
Quote:
So why change? Become a licensed day care provider & have your work come to you, saves gas...... Offer "after hours day care" to get going. You just said you need & can't find - fill the nitch. Think of the income tax write offs from working @ home, portions of your utilities are now tax deductible, food bill again portion is write off, home improvements etc now a write off & your work is coming to you.

What better way, for a win-win situation. Talk about rewarding work. Can you tell I used to? My mom still does, we can't go any where with out running in to an "old" client - talk about a sense of community - & I'm in a state capital city......

I got my license. Had it until May of this year. Had it for 3/4 years in fact. And during that time I had 2 kids.
One was with my for a year and a half before her family moved out of state. And the other was with me for 2 months, before his mom got a space in the daycare closer to her work. I applied to work via an "agency" getting voucher families. Never heard from them.
The office that is supposed to send out your name/info to people that call for info was sending out the names of people that were full. This is after I spent the money for the orientation. $100 for the license. Fixed and jumped through hoops to make EVERYTHING conform to the rules and regs.
Both kids I had. I got through my own advertising.
And I was offering longer hours and more for the kids and families. So I let my license expire.

There are no jobs within the school system either. Those are PRIME jobs. The people that get them dont leave them. You have to wait til someone dies of old age.(sorry)

I am finding that after school care isnt that easily found. And right now have some ads out there to see if there is anyone needing it in my area. So far(three weeks now) nothing.

I have been picking up email work from my husbands company, when they have it. But they are slow and it isnt something I can depend on. I dont know. I love that i have had the chance to be home with my daughter. she is a great kid. But I really miss getting a good, and steady paycheck

There are some family friendly workplaces out there. You just have to look. Most offer some type of flexible work schedules, work part time at home, etc. I have been a single mom since my kids were 1 and 6. It is very hard. Some weeks daycare cost me almost as much as I brought home! But with lots and lots of research and hard work, you can hold a professional job AND raise your kids AND take care of the home.

Good luck and keep your chin up!

Thanks everyone

I do have a small in "home" business. I make some of the worlds BEST fudge and Hot Fudge Sauce. And I am beginning a new venture using some of my other talents.
But. I need to advertise. I need supplies. And although my dh is "supportive" he complains the minute I say "I need to advertise or need supplies"
roll.png

I get where he is coming from. But I also know that in order to make money one has to actually spend some too.

Oh. I am taking a voice over class in October. Ya know,, those people who go unnoticed on cartoons and video games and cd/tape books. In all my years doing customer service I have a "rhythm" and flow that people tell me I should exploit. So taking the class I go. Maybe that will pan out some. Who knows

Contact the Food Network and see if they would like to feature your fudge on one of their shows. They also have a show (or did) about small business owners launching their own food businesses. Contact Oprah. Send her some of your fudge.

etc. etc. etc.
big_smile.png
Dream big! It could happen.

Job share?

Part-time work for a college (I work for one - they can have awesome bennies, and Boston has no shortage of schools), or through a temp agency?

I don't blame you for being down about working in fast food when you have experience and degrees. DBF has been looking for a job since March. He had a good job before and now can't find anything. It's soooo tough out there right now.

Get on the waiting list for some daycare providers. In Seattle you need to get on lists as soon as you think you might want to conceive - lists are 2+ years long!

Good luck! 100% of job seekers who keep looking will find a job. Keep us posted on your progress... and let us know when to see you on Food Network!! Maybe Bobby Flay will try a throw down??

rhett&sarahsmom:
I say go with that fudge!!! Take classes at the small business administration (sba) and work with them on getting a loan if possible. Then get that fudge out there! YUM! There's a lady in Jackson, WI who is at every church fair, festival and flea market, and she does mail order through the internet and hosts open houses at her home to allow people to sample and purchase her yummy treats. She was a professional making very good money a few years ago, and her chocolate business was doing so well that she had to quit her job. One of our favorite local organic grocery stores looks for as many natural, locally made products as they can to offer for sale in their store. They are doing so well that they are opening another store. If your products are natural or organic, maybe you could see about selling them to a natural or organic store. I also wish I could get something going from home to bring some extra money into our house. Good luck to you!!!!!!!!! Just remember that the worse this economy gets, the more people will NEED chocolate!!!!!!!!!
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom