gettin chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by bullrider, Jul 26, 2008.

1. bullrider

bullrider Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2008
    Utah
    can my chickens get chicks on there first time ever laying eggs (there eggs are kind of small) i do have a rooster in with them, she has layed 4 eggs and i just left them in there hopeing they would hatch.

2. Break an Egg

Break an Egg Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    San Antonio
    The hens have to feel like sitting on them. It doesn't happen all the time. It also depends on the breed. Some breeds won't sit on eggs at all. They have to "go broody" first and you will be able to tell if they do that by putting your hand under a hen that is sitting on a nest. If they run away, they are not broody, if they puff up their feathers and try to peck your hand they are probably broody. What breeds do you have?

Leaving eggs in the nest will just make them more likely to get crushed, and if that happens, they will probably eat the egg. Once they eat it and like it, you will have a problem.

You might also wait until the eggs get a little bigger and buy or make an incubator to hatch the eggs.

3. bullrider

bullrider Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2008
    Utah
    I am new at this so thanks for all the help i have 4 but i dont know which one of them is laying them. 2 rhode island reds,bantam,amerancauna. i never see any of them laying on them so are they bad?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by