Gettin darn good at hatchin call ducklings-PICS!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by jbourget, Mar 28, 2012.

1. jbourget

jbourget Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2008
    CT
    White brooders looking pretty good! pics take forever to upload this is all you get! ahaaaa...... course im loosing a whole bunch too. darn things are tough to get off to a good start

[​IMG]

2. Fleabuskitty

Fleabuskitty Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2011
    D'aww [​IMG] Call ducks are so cute, I wish I could have some. Maybe one day... [​IMG]

3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I just enjoyed a trip to your farm, I love your animals. but have a question about your call ducklings you said your losing a bunch does that mean they are dieing? I am sorry if thats the case. I understand it's hard to hatch call ducklings but is it hard to keep them going after hatch?

4. jbourget

Apr 4, 2008
    CT
    Oh yeah, one little mis hap can make or break the little suckers....especially the weaker smaller ones that are always way better type..and have the smallest beaks. somtimes they flip on thier back the first day and can die or get the slightest bit wet...and shiver and die that way...i keep them in a small basket inside the brooder for the first day. with shaving so they cant go far. they suck the yolk up and are ready to start drinking and eating I think i have got it down now, the last 6 that have hatched are looking pretty tough. they grow quick. i lost many the first starting hatching. maybe 8 and ive got 14 hatched out now doing well. in whites,

5. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    They are so sweet! I'm sorry you lost some, I am learning this all tends to go hand n hand with having poultry(losses) you just do your best and hope most do ok. [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 29, 2012
  6. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Well I am happy to hear you have got it under control now, keep us supplied in pics i love them.. They sure are cuties.. and you also let your mallards hatch you some thats pretty cool.

7. jbourget

Apr 4, 2008
    CT
    Yes the mallards are great broodies and they actually hatch 100% because conditions are ideal but i also have a silkie hen setting 6 call eggs. My redwood is kicking butt!!!!! check out how many ducklings ive got now! new colors are starting to hatch out...greys blue fawns...lots of snowys! ive got about 45-50 babies! going to upload some pics one min

8. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    [​IMG]

9. jbourget

Apr 4, 2008
    CT
    This is a nice looking little white, look how wide bill is!! snowys have the darker bills.

[​IMG]

Blue fawn way back left, a little grey to the right and a bunch of medium whites, i have larger ones that are older outside allready
    [​IMG]

there is always one that has his eye on ya lol!!

[​IMG]

Sleeping!! lol this shot shows just how good some of the babies bill legth is.. nice any short short short!!! my breeding stock is doing its job
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    They are beautiful, I love the pic of the one sleeping precious [​IMG] good job jbourget!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by