Getting 2 baby Alpacas tonight, any tips on care for them?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by redhen, Feb 24, 2009.

1. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Hello, i am getting 2 six month old male Alpacas tonight. Does anyone on here have them? can you give me any care/handeling tips for them please? they will be housed with 2 goats (with no horns)...i really only wanted to buy one, but the guy said they dont do well alone (like goats). Also, will they protect livestock like a Llama? thanks for any help, Wendy

2. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Im sorry I cant answer your questions....but dont forget the PICS!! [​IMG] Ask the person you are buying them from for care tips. Im sure they will be GLAD to help.

3. Picklestix7866

Picklestix7866 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2009
    Thawing Minnesota
    I'm showing my neighbors alpacas for 4H this year! So excited! Yeah, they don't do well on their own. They can be shy so be sure to try to handle them a lot. Try to make sure they are halter trained, and practice being able to touch them on their head and legs. Be gentle. They spook easy. I know that llamas do best for gaurding livestock, but I'm not sure that alpacas would be great at it.

4. Chicken Woman

Chicken Woman Incredible Egg

Oct 16, 2008
    Montana
    Yes REDHEN I do know exactly what you need to do. [​IMG]

Load them up and bring them right over to my place and leave them with me and I will take very good care of them I promise ! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] it was worth a try ! [​IMG]

5. Bil

Bil Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2008
    Cottage Grove, OR
    Hey Redhen, feel free to contact me at anytime if you have questions or concerns (feel free to call, our phone number is on our web page). Our main livestock is alpacas. We currently have 16.

6-month olds are young to be leaving their mother, but they should be fine. Make sure you have good hay that is appropriate for alpacas. They do not need high protein hay like other animals. We use orchardgrass, and it is around 8% protein. I wouldn't use alfalfa with them at all.

Also, you want to check out other supplements for them but being males, it shouldn't be too much of a problem if you have good hay. They will eat grass if you have a good pasture.

Yes, alpacas do need other alpaca companions. They have been known to die when they are alone.

Here is a great web site to get you started!
    http://webpages.charter.net/alpacaatlantic/pet.htm

Also, a good forum is over at:
    http://www.alpacanation.com/forum/Default.asp

Lots of great information!

Once again, feel free to email or call me if you need help or suggestions.

You will fall in love very quickly!! Looking forward to pictures!

Here's one of our little 6-month old boy:
    [​IMG]

Best wishes!
    Bil

Forgot to add that they MIGHT do some protecting of livestock like llamas, but don't count on it. They don't have the size that a llama has so they don't do as well protecting other animals.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2009
  6. redhen

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    thanks for the info guys! and Bil, i will definatley check out those sites! and yours are beautiful! really beautiful! i will get some pics up later tonight...right now they are in my house! I KNOW! i am a wacko! but, i have the perfect room for them.(my tile mud room)..and its only for a night....tomorrow they will go out in the goat pen...in their own seperate kennel...till i see how the goats treat them. [​IMG] they are so cute! they are still very scared...BUT..i havent gotten spit on or kicked yet. [​IMG] ..SO..i think thats a good sign....[​IMG] i have the right hay for them and Blue Seal Alpaca feed for them...MAN! they are big though! i wonder if they are really only 6 months old?? and they have 2 differant kinds of coats....one is more curly...the other more straight...i dont think they are all that impressed with me though...[​IMG] ooh well, i will work with them...[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 24, 2009
  7. feathrencox

feathrencox Out Of The Brooder

Nov 11, 2008
    West Virginia
    I would LOVE to have 2 alpacas! Where and how did you get them? All the alpacas I've ever seen are SUPER expensive! I can't wait to see pics! Don't feel like a wacko...I would have them inside too! My pygmy goat is constantly running through our legs and sneaking in our front door. She even knows where the dog feed is kept! She also is like a sneaky puppy and tries to grab snacks off the counter! I've also brought my rooster inside before and let him snuggle in bed with us! It was really cold out and his legs were so cold! Now who's wacko?[​IMG]

8. Bil

Bil Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2008
    Cottage Grove, OR
    They still could be 6 months, they could be large. I have one alpaca that is only a month older than 2 others but is probably 8 inches taller than them, and larger than a couple of my adults.

Looking forward to seeing pictures. You might have one Suri and one Huacaya.

Bil

9. redhen

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Quote:[​IMG] heehe! cute! i got very lucky with these, they are only pet quality..so, they wernt as expensive as the others...and i am sure their fiber isnt as good as the expensive ones. but it will be fine for us to use here...scarves,hats,blankets, for our own personal use....after i find someone who will process it for me...[​IMG]....OR i may invest in a spinning wheel for my mom...and put her to work....[​IMG]

10. redhen

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Quote:thanks, i will have hubby get them uploaded soon...hes outside now getting their kennel ready for the morning...[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by