Getting 25 chicks in the spring!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ShadowsFIAL, Jan 17, 2013.

1. ShadowsFIAL

ShadowsFIAL Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2009
    Fort Worth, Tx
    I am so excited! I have been missing the fun of having my own backyard flock! So I decided to bug my boyfriend and my roommates till they gave in! I am ordering from Murray Mcmurray for the first time in good hopes that all will be well. I am ordering a mixed variety of chicks, because I want a colorful flock. I have 25-27 decided on with a free rare or exotic chick as well that will be delivered the week of April 1st. Getting my chicks vaccinated for both Marek's and Coccidiosis, so non-medicated chick starter is a must for me. I was wondering if my chicks would be fine in two large sized wire dog kennels till they are 6-8 weeks old and ready to go outside. I had raised 15 or so in a small tub before so I was just curious if this would be fine as well. I was going to order the starter kit, buuuut we have a cat and I don't know if he would hop in there with them or not. I am going to be getting baby feeders and waters for them, just because I don't want to crowd them out with an adult one, and the wire will make it easy to put up roosting poles for them. On my list are going to be Black Giant(cockerel and pullet), Buff Orpington(pullet), Columbian Wyandotte(pullet), Light Brahma(pullet), The Pearl-White Leghorns(two Pullets), Rhode Island Red(pullet), Red Star(pullet), Black Star(pullet), New Hampshire Red(pullet), Single Comb Brown Leghorn(pullet), Black Minorca(pullet),Blue Andalusian(pullet), their EE's(5 pullets), Salmon Faverolles(3 pullets),Cuckoo Maran(pullet), Egyptian Fayoumis (2 pullets), and a Lakenvelder(pullet). Anyone have any experience with these birds also? Could you put some pics up of your birds? I also know that more likely than not my free chick will be a rooster, but I will wait and see, maybe I will get lucky and get a pullet. =) I am going to be gathering up all my chick supplies soon, as well as vaseline and baby powder to help prevent those pasty butts!

Last edited: Jan 17, 2013
  2. Chick_In_The_Burbs

Chick_In_The_Burbs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2010
    Western Washington
    Tis the Chick Season! Congrats and good luck! Be sure to post pics of the chicks when they arrive!

3. ShadowsFIAL

Jul 29, 2009
    Fort Worth, Tx
    Changed up my order a bid. Decided on 6 Araucana/Americana pullets, Black Australorp pullet, black giant cockerel, black minorca pullet, black star pullet, buff orpington pullet, blue laced red wyandotte, columbian wyandotte pullet, 2 egyptian fayoumis pullets, golden wyandotte pullet, new hampshire pullet, pearl-white leghorn pullet, red star pullet, rhode island red pullet, 3 salmon faverolle pullets, single comb brown leghorn pullet, silver laced wyandotte pullet, and the mystery chick! Hoping this works out great! Can't wait till april!

4. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Wow, nice selection!

5. doeseatoats

doeseatoats New Egg

Feb 1, 2013
    Northern California
    We are also getting 25 chicks from McMurray. Similar mix to yours. Have you gotten yours yet? We were planning on getting less, but I think we're going to dive in with 25. We also have cats and so are planing on using two large rubbermade containers with wire over the tops. I am trying to find information on good feeders/waterers.

6. novanod1966

novanod1966 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2012
    western North Carolina
    i've had experience with most all of them.
    the black giant breed is very large...... the roosters i've had (when crowing.... will bend toward the ground bob his head 3-4 times, fly up in the air and crow in mid-flight. very neat) they are the only roosters that i've ever seen do this.
    rhode island red, austrolorp, and buff orf. all are a large breed also.

black star, leghorn and EE are medium sized breed.

don

7. ShadowsFIAL

Jul 29, 2009
    Fort Worth, Tx
    I haven't gotten my chicks yet. Sadly I am still debating on my order. I can't seem to make up my mind! lol, too many to choose from! I decided against the cuckoo maran as I heard that mcmurray's stock does not have the dark brown eggs. I think I might get those from a breeder later on or something. I am narrowing down my breeds slowly. I plan to get them around april 8th, unless we get my fencing and everything done sooner.

8. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    I have always had great luck with McMurray - and yes - too many to choose from. I have some Cuckoo Marans from them - they don't lay the "chocolate" egg that other Marans do but it is a pretty dark egg. I really like the two I have. Good luck to you in making your final decisions.

9. ShadowsFIAL

Jul 29, 2009
    Fort Worth, Tx
    Anyone ever have ant luck putting silkies in with your standard size flock? I want to get a few silkie pullets to use as brood mothers =P I may have a mixed flock, but that dosen't mean I don't want to miss out on having chicks hatch at home! That and my flock is really just for egg laying purposes. The roo is there to help keep my hens safe. But if I have the chance I really do want to hatch my own! Maybe even order some hatching eggs sometime! Also thinking about getting the silkies first so that they are a little older and can boss the other chicks around so that they might be higher on the pecking order!

Last edited: Feb 7, 2013
  10. destinydot6

destinydot6 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2011
    I have put silkies in with large and small they dont fight at all but I do use a red light when I lock em up for the night just so they dont eat each other due to some when they was younger had done but silkies hold their own :)

quote name="ShadowsFIAL" url="/t/737215/getting-25-chicks-in-the-spring#post_10429373"]Anyone ever have ant luck putting silkies in with your standard size flock? I want to get a few silkie pullets to use as brood mothers =P I may have a mixed flock, but that dosen't mean I don't want to miss out on having chicks hatch at home! That and my flock is really just for egg laying purposes. The roo is there to help keep my hens safe. But if I have the chance I really do want to hatch my own! Maybe even order some hatching eggs sometime! Also thinking about getting the silkies first so that they are a little older and can boss the other chicks around so that they might be higher on the pecking order!
    [/quote]

Last edited: Feb 7, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by