1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Getting 25 Chicks on Monday....

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by grateful, Apr 19, 2009.

1. grateful

grateful Out Of The Brooder

Feb 24, 2009
    Bozeman, MT
    WE have been waiting months and I believe we are all set up. One question.... I have read here to feed scratch to the day old chicks for 2-3 days to help with Pasty Butt. Any thoughts? Then I would switch over to Med Chick Starter.

Here goes nothing... JUMP

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Don't give scratch to baby chicks! They'll end up with an impacted crop and die!

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:I agree. Medicated chick starter and fresh clean water at all times. Save the scratch for when they are older.

4. columbiacritter

columbiacritter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2008
    Scappoose Oregon
    agreed, NO SCRATCH!! Fresh chick starter, clean water or sugar water.

5. grateful

grateful Out Of The Brooder

Feb 24, 2009
    Bozeman, MT
    Thanks all. I thought that sounded a bit too much too soon. I have the water and the chick started all lined up and ready to go. Thanks

6. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

Quote:NO, NO, NO!! no scratch for babies! Put a little sugar or a tablespoon of clear corn syrup in their water if you have some with pasty butt, but NO SCRATCH! It would be like feeding a human baby a chunk of steak.

7. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

sry; saw your post and immediately had to answer; didn't bother to look down and see that your post had been adequately answered already! [​IMG] Good luck with your babies; enjoy them immensely, spend all the time you can with them! They grow up SO FAST! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by