Getting a bator for Christmas

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by RedReiner, Dec 19, 2010.

1. RedReiner

RedReiner Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2010
    Monroe, Wa
    Geeeeeze I have had chickens for a month and now I am getting a bator lol. Anyway I am getting the 1588 with a turner and it comes with a thermometer / Hygrometer, it is the one from incubator warehouse. I just wondered if the Hygrometer is accurate and decent? I just want to make sure I am not spending extra on a piece of junk.

2. Jessiewoodard57

Jessiewoodard57 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2010
    Bushnell, FL.
    I have the same hydrometor and it works great! well worth the few extra dollars. BTWyou are going to love the 1588.

3. Baralak

Baralak Chillin' With My Peeps

The 1588 with the turner is a Really good small bator!... There are many people that swear by them, there are many people that hate them. As what I suggest with anyone getting a bator for the first time is to MAKE sure you know how to work it completely before you set eggs...

First Set it up, get it to your desired temp and humidity. Check it for about 2-3 hours to make sure it holds. Try it in different locations. That bator does not like drafty areas, nor direct sunlight (as most do not like). After that put it in hatching mode (Some call it Lockdown) and make sure you can sustain your desired hatching humidity. If you ask on this forum you will get ranges from 50-70% but it all depends what your ambient temp/humidity is, and that has to do with where you live. Coastal regions don't have ANY problems getting the humidity up, higher elevations.. will have to work on it.

If you can, I would, on your first run, find some locally obtained backyard fertile eggs, those designer chickens, and hatch them first just to try it out. You don't have to hatch 40 of them, just 5 or 10. that will give you that hatching experience. Then you can get pure breed eggs. JUST remember, hatching rates for shipped eggs will be all over the place! But if you have a 50% rate, your doing good with shipped eggs.

READ, TEST, TRY, then ASK Questions.. this is a great resource!

CONGRATS on your BATOR!!!

4. RedReiner

RedReiner Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2010
    Monroe, Wa
    Thaks!! good advice!! I like the eco one but not that rich, read lots of good things on here about the 1588 so went with that one. I will practice hatching some here with eggs from a friend. Not going to have to ship eggs as I have friends close enough. yaay!
    I have a room right across from my furnace that stays the same temp with the heat vent closed, 70 or so. if you open the vent it will cook you out of the room! I am also 500 ft above sea level and live in western Wa. kinna chilly out here at the moment. I dont know what the humidity should be but I guess I will figure it out and let it set with no eggs until I get that part right.
    Thanks again ! hopefully I will have little blue babies in the spring!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by