getting a few blue laced wydonetts

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by the3ofus+oursixchicks, Apr 10, 2012.

1. the3ofus+oursixchicks

the3ofus+oursixchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2011
    alabama
    getting a few blue laced wydonetts saturday. they are big enough to go out the man says. i have 2 hens barred rock and buff orpington. will the little ones be ok with the big ones. i think the little ones maybe 5 weeks old maybe more maybe less not sure. my girls are a year old. would it be possible for my hens to take the little ones in as their? need advice please

2. Aeropennchick

Aeropennchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2012
    Southern PA
    If there is a significant size difference (which there is sure to be if your girls are a year) there might be trouble. Most people suggest introducing them in side by side runs and seeing how the interactions go. Do a search for introducing new chicks to the flock and you will get a lot of results!!

Also if you do put them together, make sure the little ones have places to hide!

3. the3ofus+oursixchicks

the3ofus+oursixchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2011
    alabama
    there is a big difference in size. the big girls were actually scared of the little ones. i am going to have to section off a spot in the run so they can figure out the little ones are actually smaller versions of them. it was really funny. one went toward rosey and she jumped up to get away from it. maybe it wont take long.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by