Getting a few Silkies then a few other breeds a few weeks later?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by MydearWatson, Apr 26, 2011.

1. MydearWatson

MydearWatson Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2010
    CT
    I love this site, I have gotten so much invaluable information here! [​IMG]

Anyway, I am tossing around the idea of getting some Silkies (just 2) but I also have an order coming in June of 2 BO's, 1 EE and 1 Light Brahma... being that Silkies are so much smaller, will this be a problem? Would I be able to move the Silkies to the coop (when the newbies come) and then move the other batch out 4 or 5 weeks later? Should I keep the Silkies in the brooder with the babies for awhile? Is there any way to make this thing work? Any advise would be SO appreciated.

2. greytmommy

greytmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2011
    i have no real experience here...

but I would say it will be fine. I have silkies mixed w/ other bantams and some LF. They are so much smaller, i dont think it will hurt them to be in the brood box a bit longer w/ the other chicks. and we added 2 more chicks about a 1.5wks later to the orginal batch (Marans) and they were fine.

actually one of my silkies is still so small, we are going to have to keep her in longer than the rest of ehr flock. So we decided the other 10 birds will go out this week, and the one tiny Silkie and one of our LF Cochins will stay in until the Silkie is bigger....

3. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    They will be fine. I've gone back to the farm store twice after buying the first 3. All 1-2 weeks apart. My oldest 5 weeks and youngest 1.5 weeks and I'm going back again this Friday to add another one![​IMG]. Hubby agreed to let me have one more.[​IMG] My older 3 are ready for the coop and will be going in there if it gets finished this coming weekend. I'm keeping the babies inside.

4. MydearWatson

MydearWatson Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2010
    CT
    Thanks so much! I am really excited since I really wanted Silkies but no Hatchery had them due the same time as my other breeds. I cant wait to get all of my sweet babies!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by