Getting a German Shepard puppy for Christmas, I need help finding a

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by chickenchickenbulkbulk, Dec 7, 2008.

1. chickenchickenbulkbulk

chickenchickenbulkbulk Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2008
    OHIO
    name for her. Any suggestions? We have Mabel Ray a Great Dane mix and a poodle named Ruby. Mabel sleeps with our chickens, it is so cute. Thanks for any name you can come up with. DeeJay

2. Hotwings

Hotwings Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2007
    southwestern Michigan
    I am not really good at naming animals with unique names. If I were to get a female boxer I would name her Heidi. I know Heidi is not exactly a german name.

3. chickenchickenbulkbulk

Jul 9, 2008
    OHIO
    Thanks Hotwings. Heidi is a name I would never of thought of, but I really do like it. My rottweiler died 2 years ago in Jan. Her name was Lexus. I think of her all of the time, she was 12 years old. Died from heart worm treatment. She was one of a kind. I still can't talk about her without the tears. Silly, huh? DeeJay

4. EllyMae

EllyMae Chillin' With My Peeps

I was thinking that Heidi was German...sounds good to me anyway, lol. Of course this is coming from someone who has a pug(which are Chinese origin) with a RUssian name!
    BTW, I think German Sheps are extremely smart. I have a German shep crossed with a boxer/ pit. He is the smartest dog I have ever owned. His name is Diesel...I found him and his mom and littermates at a gas station, lol.

5. BettyR

BettyR Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2008
    Texas Gulf Coast
    I had a German Shepherd when I was much younger...she was extremely smart. I did obedience training with her and entered her into dog shows. She would win first place a LOT!!!!

I had some friends who trained retrievers and just by sitting and watching she figured out what was going on and she could out work some of their best retrievers.

My dog's name was CANDY
    Her mother's name was BRANDY
    The grandmother's name was EMMA
    Another dog from the mother's litter was named CADENCE
    One of the male dogs was PAXX
    A solid black female that used to win a lot at the shows was named PITTY-PATT

6. chickenchickenbulkbulk

Jul 9, 2008
    OHIO
    I had German Shepards when I was a child, too. We couldn't keep them. People would steal them out of the kennel. We had 2 disappear like that, so mom just gave up on having one. I am so excited about getting her. She isn't ready to leave her mommy. I love pugs too, I love puppies!!! DeeJay I like the name Cadence, that is different. Thanks

7. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

I usually don't name my dogs until I get to know their personality. (unless of course the situation of getting them leads to the name, i.e., Spook was found in a graveyard)

I've had
    Jazz---she loved Blues music

Miss Chief (mischief)-- always into something

Cleo--marked like the cat in Pinnochio

Shiloh & Pike--found on the Shiloh Pike in NJ

8. BeckyLa

BeckyLa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    N. Louisiana
    Oh my. GSD's are by far my favorite dog. I can't talk about by girl, either, my constant companion and friend for 12 years.....ahem......clearing throat... Anyway, if yours is registered, you might look at her ancestry and and pick a name combining some of their names. That will make her name more unique. Also, I like to have an animal for a while then name them according to their personality. Or maybe color. I wouldn't be in too big of a hurry to stick a name tag on her until you are certain it will fit. Congratulations!

9. BettyR

BettyR Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2008
    Texas Gulf Coast
    Quote:Yea...I had one puppy taken out of my backyard when DH and I were first married. After that I have kept my dogs in the house...haven't lost another on since.

I had a crate inside the house and when the kids were little that was my dog's spot to go to when she wanted some quite time to herself. We would always make the kids leave her alone when she went to her "room". It was were she stayed until she learned not to have accidents in the house.

When my dogs are little and out of their crate I would set a cookie timer for 1 hour and take them outside to potty when the timer went off...then reset it when they were done...so they went out to potty whether they needed to or not every hour.

I always took them to the same place to potty and they learned quickly what "go potty" means and would do their business and we would go back in. There would be the occasional accident in the meantime and I would just run and scoop the puppy up and run outside with them. There was never any scolding...it's totally not necessary. My dogs are usually completely house trained by the time they are 12 weeks old. I would usually bring them home at 8 weeks and within three weeks they are going to the door and asking to go out to potty.

10. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Quote:I'm like you...I never name any of my cats or dogs until I've had them a while and gotten to know them. My house dog Gypsy went without a name for probably almost a month before the right name came to me. Other times the first couple of days and they've already found their name.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by