Getting a hen primary for brooding

Angel07

Songster
Mar 11, 2021
Victoria, Australia
What’s your opinion on getting a hen or two mainly for brooding. So, when they’re broody I’ll put some eggs under them. I’ll be taking their eggs and breeding a little from them (depending on the breeds I go for) but they can be the ‘henbator’. If any of my other chooks go broody I can also use them but with one or two dedicated to brooding it will take some stress off me to incubate and look after.

Your opinions would be greatly appreciated!

I think that's a good idea. But remember that it all depends on that particular chicken. I have a silkie that's gone broody 5 times sinve I got her (a bit over a year ago). But her sister only went broody once.
Make sure you pick a good hen.
Don't make her hatch back to back, give her a break every ince in a while.
Good luck

I think that's a good idea. But remember that it all depends on that particular chicken. I have a silkie that's gone broody 5 times sinve I got her (a bit over a year ago). But her sister only went broody once.
Make sure you pick a good hen.
Don't make her hatch back to back, give her a break every ince in a while.
Good luck
I won’t be hatching every time she goes broody. Just about 2-3 times a year depending on how she goes. Also depending on the rest of my flock and if I need more.

Seems like a good idea. How many will you get?
Tell us how it works out!
I’ll be getting a rooster either late this year or early next year. We’ve lost a few chooks/roosters to foxes but we’ve fixed their coop so can now add another rooster and breed some more. That’s the main reason I want a broody hen. I’ll add the broody around the same time as the rooster. Once I get them I’ll start a thread. I’ll start with one for now. See how I go.

Since its up to the hen when they get broody and it can be kind of heavy on their health I think it would be smart to get at least 2 hens of a broody breed. My bantam cochins both were "intensely broody" and the mothering instinct seems strong, and they just seem socially very strong in the flock. My bantam brahma also gets broody but is not so persistent, so I would probably not give her eggs.

Egg laying is seasonally restricted but going broody is even more seasonally restricted and is less predictable for us. I don't know if broodyness can be manipulated with lighting.

Back
Top Bottom