Getting a milking goat! Now what should I know?

Harley's girl

Songster
11 Years
Mar 28, 2008
Ohio (way out in the country)
Hi all I am getting a milking goat that is a year old and is producing 3/4 a gallon a day. What should I know before I get my little cutie pie? I used to have a mini but she was not used for milking. Any help would be great! Thanks!!
big_smile.png

Keep EVERYTHING you use with milk super clean. Get some dairy cleanser to make sure you get the milk proteins off all your equipment between milkings.

Cool the milk down ASAP. I freeze 20oz coke bottles of water and put them in my milking pail to begin the cooling process as soon as possible.

Strain the milk. Put it in a glass or stainless steel container and refrigerate or freeze ASAP.

Give your goat lots of TLC.
smile.png

It took me years to convince DH to get one! I don't think I will ever convince him of .... 2
th.gif

About the milking, how do I go about that? Is there a schedule? Like what time and how many times? And what happens if you are not at home when it is milking time? There sure are a lot of things to take into consideration before buying.

Harley's girl :

It took me years to convince DH to get one! I don't think I will ever convince him of .... 2
th.gif

About the milking, how do I go about that? Is there a schedule? Like what time and how many times? And what happens if you are not at home when it is milking time? There sure are a lot of things to take into consideration before buying.

Harley's girl. Has she been alone so far? If not, you won't have to convince your DH for a pal, your new baby will.
gig.gif
They scream, run around and escape looking for their herd. It is pathetic and heartbreaking. They just have a very very hard time being alone as they are herd animals and obviously it feels life threatening for them if they are alone. Is he a softie? Make sure he is around to see her distress for she will be.

We brought one little guy home and he was truly beside himself. I called the breeder and ran back the next day and brought 2 home. He was so relieved and stopped his incredible escaping.

Good luck and keep us posted. I LOVE our goats, if I haven't said that already. I have many many animals over the years and for some reason never was interested in having a goat. Boy have I missed out. They are one of the most charming, lovable critters on our farm.
love.gif
But don't tell our horses, dogs, cats or chicks that....
tongue.png

Last edited by a moderator:
She is a year old and is milking now, they said they are getting about 3/4 a gallon a day. I am not sure how they have it set up at their farm. I am worried about the milking part, I have never milked anything!!
ep.gif
I Am afraid I will do it wrong. Are your goats on a schedule? And if they are, what is the schedule? Thanks.
smile.png

I don't have goats YET but the person I buy goat milk from pens all the kids up overnight, milks first thing in the morning, and then lets the kids out with the does all day. They get quite a bit of milk from each doe and the kids and does both look fantastic...best looking nubians I've ever seen.

Back
Top Bottom