Getting a mother hen to accept month old foster chicks..?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by irisshiller, Oct 25, 2014.

1. irisshiller

irisshiller Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2014
    Israel
    Hi! Question...

One of my ex-battery hens did something quite unexpected and hatched out 3 chicks last month :) She is doing a perfect job raising them and the chicks are doing great.

Now, I got another 2 'rescue' chicks and 2 ducklings a few days ago. Their previous owners want them to stay togeter, but I prefer to raise both with their own kind... I was wondering if I should try to get the mother hen to accept the other chicks? They are about the same age. It would be the perfect way to integrate them into

2. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

At that age and how old her own chicks are already, I personally wouldn't try it. I'd brooder raise them and integrate when they are 10 or 12 weeks old.

3. irisshiller

May 20, 2014
    Israel
    Sorry this got cut off!

Anyway I thought it would be a good way to intriduce them to the other chickens. Tgey have been in a cage next to the yard where all chickens are, but the mother hasn't shown any interest in them so far.

About the ducklings, I have no mother or broody duck hen so they will probably have to stay in the cage until they are grown. I have seen aggression to ducklings before in my ducks.

What do you think?

4. irisshiller

May 20, 2014
    Israel
    Thanks cafarmgirl for your quick reply! I was afraid of that. Well suppose I will just wait until they are grown then.

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Best you can hope for is the momma won't attack the new littles. After some time, she may allow them to sleep under her if you put them there after dark, or they snuggle under her on a roost. But as far as truley brooding them, keeping them warm during the day or watching out for them, it's pretty much not going to happen. Momma knows who her babies are at this point, and chickens are more primal than humans. They see young that aren't their own as competition for resources, not helpless babes that need to be taken care of.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by