Getting a Muscovy Hen to Brood - Progress!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Bleenie, Feb 3, 2011.

1. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

I e-mailed someone about some Fertile Muscovy Eggs a couple days ago and finally heard back yesterday. I was hoping I could get one of my girls to go broody before I got the eggs home so I could just swap them out. So, I got their nest boxes all set up with some soft, fluffy hay and tossed in the only wooden egg I could find since it was already dark now. I grabbed a dozen store bought chicken eggs out of the fridge to add to the nest the next morning...

When I opened the coop door miss KD jumped away from the nest box (i musta' scared her, lol), looked at me, then started grabbing up straw off the floor!! I showed her the eggs I brought out and she soooo wanted to inspect them! it was too cute [​IMG] . I was kind of thinking she might be the one to do it for me, she hatched a clutch a while back but lost all of her babies to the cold shortly after they left the coop.

I will be keeping my fingers crossed that she decides she wants to sit on the eggs i added for her and then I can swap them out with the Muscovy eggs I am getting this weekend... I am super excited [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 4, 2011
  2. StevenW.

StevenW. Lovin' My Quackers!

Oct 7, 2010
    Central, Illinois
    Tell us what color of scovy eggs are these? [​IMG]

3. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

Here's the picture she had on her Ad:
    [​IMG]

She said they are all different colors though, a mix of white, black, brown, and gray... I am hoping I will get a few cute little Black Pied ducklets to raise. I just recently lost my oldest & favorite girl, Nibbles [​IMG] . So I would like to raise a new little Black Pied girl... hopefully they'll be as sweet as she was.

4. StevenW.

StevenW. Lovin' My Quackers!

Oct 7, 2010
    Central, Illinois
    Quote:Awwww sorry you lost nibbles [​IMG]

Sounds like quite an assortment.

5. Muscovies

Muscovies Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] [​IMG] I am sorry for u losting Nibbles was she old?

6. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

She wasn't that old, but I lost her to a predator. The flock seems so WEIRD without her, mostly because of her personality but she was also my only Black so it's very weird watching everyone mill around and see no dark duck or have her running up to me asking for treats.

Besides these eggs I am hoping to maybe get some babies this year from the lady that I got Nibbles & most of my others from. It's been quite a while since I have raised any of her ducklings, they always have the best dispositions.

7. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

I've been out taking care of the animals all morning and before i came back inside I wanted to check on the eggs I left for KD, she had been in the house a couple times while I was cleaning their pen & she would talk to me everytime she came back out. When I checked in the box it was hard to see so I had to take a picture and she was DEFINITELY in the box on the eggs! They were all damp from her belly and she covered them up with the hay i left in the box for her.

Hopefully she will decide to pull some down soon so I know she's serious and not just toying with the idea...and me [​IMG] .

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I did give her a feather one of the pullets had lost and she picked it up so... [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by