Getting a new duck

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Welsh Ducky, Oct 10, 2016.

1. Welsh Ducky

Welsh Ducky Out Of The Brooder

Sep 6, 2016
    One of my ducks just died :hit but I was wondering, what breed of duck would be the best to buy if you just wanted one? I would like to buy just one duckling but I'm just not sure if it would be ok just to get one then have it with a big duck and full grown chickens.

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    What is to be the purpose of the duck you plan to purchase? Regardless, I think you will have to take some special care raising it around other adult poultry - they will bully it and worse. If it was me, I'd get a pair to keep each other company until they are big enough to be released into general population? :)

3. Welsh Ducky

Sep 6, 2016
    the reason I wanted to get a new duck is because my duck that died had a brother and they had been together for a very long time, and he seems depressed. But I only wanted to get one more :(

4. Welsh Ducky

Sep 6, 2016
    I could keep him/her in a smaller area away from the others. Or on my porch untill he is old enough.

5. Adalida

Adalida Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2015
    Montana
    Could you get a full grown duck instead of a duckling? I'd feel sorry for a lone little duckling being raised all alone.

6. Welsh Ducky

Sep 6, 2016
    I do to :( I just want a duck that would be nice, but I guess I could get two ducks

7. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

If you have a Drake now that is older? Purchase a grown Hen or two would be better....If you try and introduce young or old Drakes to him it might not workout very well...You say only one but two more is no more work than adding one and the stress will be less...
    Buying Ducklings will take time to raise and then should not be introduced to the lone Drake till they do not peep anymore and are more mature...

Cheers!

8. DancingWthDucks

DancingWthDucks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2016
    Cumbria, UK
    I'm sorry for your loss :( I'd say get a Welsh Harlequin, but then again I am biased. They are an awesome breed.

9. Welsh Ducky

Sep 6, 2016
    The duck I just lost was a welsh harlequin
    :hit

10. Welsh Ducky

Sep 6, 2016
    But I would like to get a female welsh :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by