Getting a new flock: a few questions on roosting and things

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Jobot, Nov 3, 2014.

1. Jobot

Jobot Out Of The Brooder

Feb 8, 2014
    Utah
    Hey there! So, after believing I wasn't going to inherit some chickens from a friend until march, I was told she needed to get rid of them by the end of the week, so now I'm scrambling to get everything ready so that they will have a chance to adjust before winter hits!
    Quick update, though: they come with a coop and everything, so that's good. I'm told they're in good shape (although I'm still praying there). And they should still have around a year and a half of laying left.
    Anyway, my question is: as the chickens adjust to their new home, do they need to be locked up for a while so they know to roost there? And if they haven't been dewormed, would it be too traumatic to do that as soon as they get here? Or should I wait? Also, what books do you guys recommend as a resource for raising chickens? Thanks in advance! :)

2. TaraBellaBirds

TaraBellaBirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2013
    SW Kansas
    Honestly BYC is the best resource I've found! I think they will be fine if they are used to that coop, but I would probably keep them in for a couple of days. I'm not sure on the dewormer, I would probably go ahead and do it though (maybe someone more experenced can offer advice there). How old are these birds and what breeds?

3. Jobot

Jobot Out Of The Brooder

Feb 8, 2014
    Utah
    I wanted to be sure, but I've been perusing BYC for ages and loved it, and wondered if there was a good reference for medical stuff especially, so that if there's an emergency i don't need to boot up my computer. But good to know.
    I'm getting standard barred rocks and RIRs and they're around a year old. Hopefully. Friend of a friend (well, actually my sister in law), here. I fully plan on asking their history when we get them.

4. TaraBellaBirds

TaraBellaBirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2013
    SW Kansas
    I understand that you are getting them from family. It still is a good idea to check them over before bringing them home. Check for missing feathers and check legs for scabs (could indicate mites). Eyes should be clear and alert. Look the flock over well, they should be active and vocal. Good luck and enjoy your new additions!

5. Percheron chick

Percheron chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2013
    Boulder, Colorado
    I have never dewormed my chickens but if you feel the need, I would wait. For one it stresses them and can put them off their feed. Second, you can't enjoy the eggs. Wait until they molt which should be soon if they aren't currently. Most of mine are right now. I would keep them confined to the coop and run for most of the week and by the weekend when you can be around, let them out.

Storey's guide to chickens is a good book to start with. Basic information on overall care. There really isn't a good care book unless you buy a text book and those can be a little too technical. When you have time, spend it going through different topics on the emergency section and just file the information in the back of your mind for later. The best defense is a happy, uncrowded, well fed flock,

6. Jobot

Jobot Out Of The Brooder

Feb 8, 2014
    Utah
    Alright. Thanks! :) I just wondered because I'm not sure thse birds have ever been wormed, knowing the current owner. But, that's a good thing to note with moulting going on. How long does that last at the longest?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by