getting a puppy

Cebarmlds

Free Ranging
13 Years
Oct 8, 2010
mn
We've had chickens just over 3 years now and haven't owned a dog in that time. I am getting a miniture Australian Shepard pup in a few weeks and wonder what to do or not do when I introduce her to the chickens. I only free range when I'm home.

We've had chickens just over 3 years now and haven't owned a dog in that time. I am getting a miniture Australian Shepard pup in a few weeks and wonder what to do or not do when I introduce her to the chickens. I only free range when I'm home.

The main thing is to never allow the puppy to be around the chickens unsupervised. It will take time to train the dog.

I would suggest at first allowing the dog to observe the chickens in the run to get a sense of its reaction.

I hope it goes well.

When we got our lab, he was 7 weeks old. I took him right down to the chickens, held baby chicks up to his nose and let him sniff them. Any time he showed interest, I just gave him a stern, low-voiced "No". We did that a few times. I did not allow him near the chickens unsupervised for a long time - it's been 10 years, so I really don't know how long. The most important thing is consistent training. There are many ways to train, you have to find the method that works for you.

Yep, be a total control freak. Also, it really helps to have the dog around the chickens constantly so they become boring. When the chickens were in their brooder we parked Ivans bed and food right next to them (behind a gate, so we could relax). Excitement leads to accidents. And besides the chickens, do tons of "leave it" training with food, etc. so the pup completely accepts that anything he takes, he takes with your permission.
Aussies are smart, but will want to herd them desperately. Give lots of alternative games!

Thanks for the advise every one. I know it's a smart breed that's why I wanted this type and they are cute :) I'm hoping I can use the herding instinct to my advantage as she gets older and is trained properly
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom