Getting a silkie rooster!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by shelbyw, Dec 9, 2016.

1. shelbyw

shelbyw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2015
    Monroe, Georgia
    Hello you guys! So today I found a silkie rooster that someone is going to give to me and I wanted to tell you guys:) I also would like to know if I will have to worry about him around my buff Orpington and BSL hens. I'm really excited and cannot wait to get him:) I will post pics when I have him settled in and stuff. Also wanted to ask if there is a difference in integrating him with the girls or if it will be the same. Will they treat him differently than the pullets? He will be in a separate pen in the coop for a couple weeks and then I will start letting him integrate at night since that seemed to work with the pullets. By the way they don't peck the pullets like they used to anymore and they are starting to graze side by side ;)

2. chickens really

chickens really Chicken Obsessed

Of course the Pullets will treat him differently......He is a Cockerel/Rooster......Look no touch pen for a week or more.....6 WEEKS quarantine..........He might get beat up? so watch them as they mingle...He might attack the Hens?

Good luck......

Cheers!

3. shelbyw

shelbyw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2015
    Monroe, Georgia
    Thanks[​IMG] I can do 6 weeks quarantine and then 2 weeks of an integration where is pen will be put in the coop. Then he will start to be let out as they get used to him[​IMG] Can't wait:)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by