1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Getting a true Araucana Rooster 10 mos old, need help incorporating him

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Lavenderfields, Mar 15, 2012.

1. Lavenderfields

Lavenderfields Out Of The Brooder

Feb 17, 2012
    Northern Virginia
    I have 6 girls that are just starting to lay eggs, with 10 more chicks in the brooder. Someone that lives close was looking to get rid of their true Araucana Rooster and I said I'd take him as I like the idea of being able to breed for colored eggs, and I like the idea of a rooster around the girls to help them stay safer. I need help on how to transition him into the flock, and how to help him learn to be friendly (the current owner says he is not aggressive to people), but did not say he is friendly. Any and all ideas are welcome---I know I need to keep him separate for awhile, but then how do I introduce him---and is it better to give him a couple of ladies and his own pen or let him live with all the girls?

Thanks!
    Janna

2. GardenGal

GardenGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Western WA
    Here's what I've read from a lot of people:

After quarantine, put a fence up between your new chicken and your old ones. Let them get used to seeing each other, then let them free range together - with lots of treats in on hand for just in case. Or rather than free ranging, wait until dark to put the newbie on the perch with the flock. Hopefully they'll all wake up together and go about business as usual.

I would let him be with all six hens. Generally you want about 10 hens to every rooster.

And by the way, it's really hard to catch a rooster! If you free range them together, maybe wait until half an hour to an hour till dusk and then he'll go back to his familiar territory. We had a couple roosters and the only thing that would tempt them to come was luncheon meat!

Hope that helps - good luck!

Last edited: Mar 15, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by