Getting along

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Thataussielady, Mar 5, 2014.

1. Thataussielady

Thataussielady Out Of The Brooder

Jan 27, 2014
    Queensland, Australia
    Just an update about Charlie and Joey, they starting to get on a bit better. Joey still isn't full size but Charlie and him are bonding but they are not sleeping together. When they are together we monitor them constantly to make sure Charlie doesn't bite him but all seems to be going good

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Finny

Finny Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2014
    I am in the process of introducing a 7 week old duckling to my flock. How did you integrate those two? They look like they are getting along very well :).

3. Thataussielady

Jan 27, 2014
    Queensland, Australia
    Because your duckling is a lot older it will be a bit different but what I did was just mix them slowly. Keep them separated and start out with just holdinh your duck when you're outside so they get use to it. If you have drake they will try to kill the duckling so you can just get them used to eachother. Because your duck is already quite old it won't take as long for them to get used to each one, just remember take it slow and don't rush. Also constantly
    Supervise them , even now charlie does sometimes go to nip him.

4. Finny

Jan 5, 2014
    What I was thinking of doing is making a mini pen inside the large pen and put the duckling in the mini one when he gets all his feathers in (its pretty cold this time of year where I live). This way they can all see eachother, but not hurt eachother. Do you think this will work?

5. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    OP they are very cute! sounds like transitioning is going well it's a process.

Finny~ yes, a pen within is always my route, unless they have a mama then she handles it lol

6. Thataussielady

Jan 27, 2014
    Queensland, Australia
    Yes, that sounds like an excellant idea, hopefully they should be friends in no time.

7. Finny

Jan 5, 2014
    Thanks guys :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by