Getting AMERICAN birds to South Africa?

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Cracked SA, Aug 4, 2014.

1. Cracked SA

Cracked SA Out Of The Brooder

Aug 4, 2014
    Durban, South Africa
    Hey all! This is my first post here, and it's to ask advice from anyone with any experience in exporting from the USA?

I live in Durban, South Africa... and there are very limited options with regard to the chickens bred or available here.

I keep Rhode Islands and Lhomans, but I am looking to get some colorful layers and roosters. Namley: Marans for chocolate brown eggs, and Ameraucana for blue eggs.

Blue and green egga are relatively unheard of in SA, and it would be excellent to be the first to get then in. As for the chocolate brown, that's just personal excitement

I would appreciate it if anyone has experience or is willing and able to help, could let me know.

2. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you decided to join our flock. I can't personally answer your question, but I would post this on our Buy, Sell, and Trade section at https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/67/buy-sell-trade (I'm uncertain, but I think it requires 20 BYC posts on your part before you can post on that section). But likely someone there can help you with this. Please feel free to ask any other questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck in getting your chickens.

3. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
  4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Do you think anyone in a country closer to you may have them? In any case it would be a long shipping trip - chicks wouldn't survive.

And even eggs sent from one end of USA to another frequently don't survive or the eggs end up with dead chicks in them or none.

Very expensive project. Are there any hatcheries near you - the quality usually isn't very good but, they seem to ship everywhere.

Black Australorps produce brown eggs but not the chocolate ones.

5. Cracked SA

Cracked SA Out Of The Brooder

Aug 4, 2014
    Durban, South Africa
    No1 in a closer country has them. They are only available in the UK and the USA.

There are hatcheries near me. They deal with hyline chickens like the Amberlinks, Lohmans and other high egg producing chickens.

Chickens like Rhode Islands, New Hampshires, Australops, Cornish, and native fowl are plentiful and downright boring.

I can't get the birds I want unless I can make a contact with someone in the states who could courier them to me.

Thanks for your suggestions though

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by