Getting an adult drake Pekin tomorrow what should I know?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by crj, Jan 19, 2011.

1. crj

crj Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2009
    Rocky Point, NC
    Hello. I'm getting a Pekin drake tomorrow. This poor duck lost it's friend from a predator and the woman wants her boy to have a good home. Well, I told her I would take him in. I have 5 runner ducks so I thought he could be happy where with all the other birds in the yard. Granted he will have to be quarantined for a while.

Is there anything I should know about this type of duck? I plan on getting a baby Pekin in the spring when they are on sale in the area. This way he will have a buddy of his own. In due time of course. I do have 6 2week old runners but I plan on finding homes for them. I ended up with all boys. At least the Pekin can hang with the babies......... eventually.

2. mommyofthreewithchicks

mommyofthreewithchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2010
    Minnesota
    I don't know anything about runners but all my ducks get treated alike. Unless of course someone is hurt or needs TLC.

Have fun with the Pekin!!! [​IMG]

3. JustAChickenLittle&More

JustAChickenLittle&More Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2010
    Florida
    I have two pekin ducks and they are wonderful. They are clingy usually. They like to follow you everywhere. They can become very attached to you. Almost as if you are the momma duck. [​IMG]

4. crj

Dec 17, 2009
    Rocky Point, NC
    This duck is feeling sad so I want to make sure he doesn't go into a depression about his buddy. Being around the other ducks and chickens I'm hoping it will keep him occupied. He will get plenty of TLC here. Hey, I even have a chicken living in my kitchen so,yea, lots of TLC......... lol.

5. crj

Dec 17, 2009
    Rocky Point, NC
    The Pekin duck arrived today. My goodness, he is not only very pretty but he is a big boy. I think I will have to put him on a diet. I was looking at him when he finally relaxed a bit. I'm assuming that his belly (if ducks even have one) is touching the ground. He free ranged but was fed scratch for feed. I'm switching him over to flock raiser because I use scratch as a treat for all of my birds. What is your thought on this. Tell me what you think of him. I plan on getting a friend for him since I don't have Pekins, just him. I do have runners.

The runners introduced themselves today. The 3 boys went into the pen and started picking on him. They did the chest bump thing like guys do...... LOL! Guess they all wanted to show how "manly" they all were. I was going to separate them in the same pen but decided that would be a bad idea. I know I would have an injured or dead duck in the morning if the fence didn't hold up. I stuck him in another pen instead. They can see each other so I'm sure they will be quacking back and forth all night. Here are some pictures.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    Different strains of pekins are bigger than others. Dont put him on a diet - he is just built bigger than the more commonly seen utility strains of
    pekin ducks.

7. gofasterstripe

gofasterstripe Chillin' With My Peeps

He looks like a jumbo Pekin. Hes a nice BIG boy tho, I like him.

8. crj

Dec 17, 2009
    Rocky Point, NC
    Great, then I won't put him on a diet. I do hope all the ducks will like each other in time. He does seem to find chickens interesting so far.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by