Getting an Apartment...What's a reasonable pet?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Celtic Hill, Dec 22, 2010.

1. Celtic Hill

Celtic Hill Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    Scotland CT
    So im getting an apartment, well actually a whole 18 acre farm. My parents are in the process of acquiring our family farm that my grandmother owned and she passed a year ago. Now a year later my parents are getting in their name. The house is a post civil war farm house with a post and beam barn. My grandfather who is a retired general contractor turned the upstairs of it into two bedroom apartment. My parents offered to let me live in it last night since the tenant just left. I really not to, but im not so keen on living in a empty house, haha! So i wanna ask them if i can get a pet to keep with me. I know a dog is out of the question, i was thinking a Cat, but idk. Is their any small animals that make good pets? I was thinking a chinchilla or a rabbit (that i would litter box train [​IMG])

2. arabianequine

arabianequine Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2010
    mini, micro, pot bellied pig? They can be litter box trained too.

3. dewey

dewey Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2010
    north of eternity
    What a nice offer! The farm sounds just beautiful. As far as indoor only companions, cats are very loving, great company, become very attached to you and are attentive and interactive with the human they own. They're extremely clean and perfect for apartment dwelling.

The best pet for you really depends on your lifestyle and the time and attention you have to devote to an animal. Even hermit crabs or fish can be perfect apartent dwellers if their needs match your lifestyle.

With what sounds like such a nice barn there, if it were me, I'd be slowly warming up the folks to expand to outdoor critters, too. [​IMG]

4. Crazyland

Crazyland Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2009
    Sandhills NC
    Downside to the pig is the cost. [​IMG] I looked at the micro and mini's as my DD said she wanted a pig.

A cat is great for an apartment. They will interact with you and are easy to care for. That would be my vote.

Fish are nice "pets". lol

Guinea pigs are good interactive pets. Rats too.

5. Celtic Hill

Mar 7, 2010
    Scotland CT
    Quote:hehe, yeah were opening a horse farm.

6. sunflowerenvy

sunflowerenvy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2010
    south/west tn
    are your late teen to early 20s college age? how many hours would u stay in your apartment, would u be out most night with friends. having a pet at this age will not be fair for the pet to be alone about 20 hours a day work, friends , sleeping. if you do decide get two kittens they could be left alone for along time if need be.
    i notice that my 19 yr dd is gone mostly at night [n going to college too]and her cat comes to me for attention. she is going to away to college in a week n have to leave her cat with me her mom.
    rabbit could be litter train but they do chew on electric cord

7. Celtic Hill

Mar 7, 2010
    Scotland CT
    Quote:Yeah im in college but i commute and only have classes in the afternoon and one late class, fridays off and nothing on the weekends.

8. SilverPhoenix

SilverPhoenix Bantam Fanatic

Dec 15, 2009
    Penn Valley, CA
    I'd argue that a few seramas actually make wonderful indoor pets! I have four of them living in my room right now in a large storage tub and they're happy as can be, not smelly, quiet, fun, and they don't mind being handled or not being handled. [​IMG] I don't know if they'd be allowed or not, but it's something you could think about! Get two hens and a big storage tub (the bigger the better), put some shavings and things to do in there, and they'll be happy as can be and fun to have.

I highly recommend guinea pigs as well. Totally sweet little things. Just make sure they have a lot of space to move around (www.guineapigcages.com) and they're wonderful. Guinea pigs tend to like people, rarely bite, make the cutest noises, they keep clean, and they can be mostly litter trained. I don't keep rabbits, cavies, or rodents any more because poultry are really my passion/what I prefer to keep, but if I was to keep any of those small rodent-esque critters again it would definitely be guinea pigs.

9. arabianequine

arabianequine Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2010
    Pot bellied pigs are pretty cheap to purchase if your interested....the micros were pretty spendy.

I also know someone that had a pigmy goat like a dog it came in the house and slept at night every might?

I would want something a little more active then a rat, guinea pig, fish, etc. if it was me alone there.

10. dewey

dewey Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2010
    north of eternity
    Quote:hehe, yeah were opening a horse farm.

Nice!

My family has 15 horses here that are hauled cross-country and back for a few months every summer to the family owned 2000 acre hay ranch. Goats, burros, dogs, and all go with. [​IMG]

With your family's heart for livestock, and of course depending on your time and finances for upkeep, there's gotta be room for a sweet natured burro or a couple of sweet goats -- give me an inch and I take a mile. [​IMG]

Btw, I adore dogs and every creature I can think of, but for a devoted life-long pet in an apartment environment, cats will always get my vote. I also have a tiny 10 year old, 3 pound dog that I've had since birth who is litter trained and indoor only.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by