Getting An Incubator soon, First Time Hatching and Have Questions!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by animalsroc4evr, Mar 12, 2012.

1. animalsroc4evr

animalsroc4evr Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2010
    East Tennessee
    Hi all,

I have to take the summer off of college (unfortunately) so I thought, since my Girls are 2 and their egg productions is way down, I would try my hand at incubating. I have 2 roos that I rescued and they are smitten with the hens (a little too much if you ask me [​IMG]) . I'm so excited and have been reading up all over the Internet and on BYC. Now I know that the LG (little giant) isn't the best incubator, but since this is just a hobby and I won't have time to hatch except from now til Fall semester (going to college to be a vet and I will be cramming up to get my last few prerequisites in before applying to vet school) I figured it would serve my purpose. That being said is there any thing I can do to have a good hatch with a LG? I wouldn't be too happy if I set eggs and ended up with no little chicks hatching.... I have a place to put it that I am fairly confident the outside temp wouldn't fluctuate (I cleared a shelf in my small closet)....

I read that when collecting eggs you can only let them sit out for 7 days before setting them or else your hatch rate goes way down. However I was wondering can you set eggs then 7 days later set more eggs in the same incubator? and if so how does the lock down with higher humidity work with 2 groups of eggs that have hatch dates 7 days apart? I have 4 hens but only get 2-3 eggs (if I'm lucky) a day. What amount of eggs would you suggest I set? I was thinking a dozen would work just fine which would eliminate the problem with having 2 different hatch date....... I read that some people have low hatch rates with the LG so I'm not sure how many eggs I should set to get a better probability of at least some hatching. I'd be ecstatic if all or the majority of the eggs I set hatched, but I'm not a very lucky person so I doubt that it would occur [​IMG].

I was reading in the learning center about dry incubation, has anyone tried that? Does it give a better hatch rate?

Any info y'all could provide, whether its tips and tricks or info I should know about, I'd LOVE to heard it. I have to wait for Tractor Supply to restock with their incubators ([​IMG]) but in the mean time I'll have 4 or 6 pullets from the feed store on Monday (3-19) to care for, love, and watch grow.... I'd like to be able to do a couple of hatches while I have time on my hands (from now until July) But I have to time it where they will all be outside by August when I start my classes......

Thanks in advance for any and all info and help given [​IMG]

2. Abacus

Abacus Out Of The Brooder

I have found having two incubators is best if you are going to have multiple sets in the bator. Have one with the egg turner and one with no egg turner. then you can set the different humidities and not worry about it messing up any other batches.I a

also write the date they are pulled from one to the other on the egg (so I date it the 18th day) so I can keep track incase something happens and my eggs get out of order :)

3. animalsroc4evr

animalsroc4evr Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2010
    East Tennessee
    Thank you for you help Abacus! I really appreciate it :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by